Skip to main content

A Few Flakes and The Shadow Recruit

    Hey, everyone. We have been without power for a lengthy time and I am glad to have rejoined the current century, as far as tech goes. In my area, there was a massive amount of downed trees but things are mostly copacetic (Old term for cool.) as we speak. I hate sitting in the dark, even if I am reading The Clash of Kings. For several nights, I read while in bed, which I never do, and was very happy to have the back-lit screen. I mean, Abe Lincoln must have really strained his eyes, reading by the light of a fireplace.
     Hey, it is Valentine's Day, here in the states. This holiday was invented by marketers but it is a nice gesture when heartfelt, sharing your love with whomever. As a token of my dedication to the merits of love, I did something nice for my car today, which I'll tell you about shortly.
     I have been writing a new western book. It started with a real bang, but I have been doing other things for a few days. I went to see Jack Ryan, Shadow Recruit, back before the weather-related travails.The critics didn't care for it but I liked it. It is the story of a young Jack Ryan (Chris Pine), who is recruited by Thomas Harper (Kevin Costner) to work as an analyst for the CIA. Jack has been working as a stock broker and has a knack for spotting unscrupulous activities.
     For instance, Jack believes that villains are planning on performing a terrorist attack on America, then manipulating a run on U.S. Banks in order to crash our economy.
     Costner sends Jack to Russia, in hopes that he can stop the nefarious scheme. What he doesn't count on is Ryan's fiance, Cathy Muller (Keira Knightley), popping up and becoming part of the solution... or problem.
     This is a good flick and I think you'll like it, despite the critics.
        Just last week I saw another movie that the critics didn't like and the regular people did like. It was pretty horrible. Depressing, sad, gross, to mention a few things. I won't say the name of this show, because I really can't think of anything, much, good to say about it. A bunch of folks doubtless worked hard on it and I'd hate to hurt their feelings. It wasn't like the acting was bad, because it wasn't. It was great. Whatever. The characters were compelling. It was so darn slow and tedious. They shared some stuff which I wish they hadn't shared.
     Hey, do you remember when I told you guys about getting into an argument with my car concerning Cameron Diaz? I fulfilled my promise to the car and bought a DVD this evening at Wal-Mart. It is titled The Counselor and my car was wanting to see the part where the girl is sort-of dancing on the windshield. So, I have to take a DVD player to the garage and play this movie for my car. I gave my word and all that. I plan to just start the movie, then leave, giving the rascal some privacy with his 'dream girl'. I do wonder about the age restrictions of this movie. My car is only a few years old. Of course, car years are more like dog years...
     From the author's green retreat, this is C.E. Wills.

     
     
    

    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is hi...

Dr. Simon's Exoskeleton (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. Nice to be back with you after a tough, hectic week. We have had some snow, sleet, fog, drizzle, torrential rain and flooding this week.      I'd like to talk, yet again, about Shadowgun , the shooter game for I-Padster. I was much further along than what I thought when I posted about some of the battles yet to be faced for those of you who had just killed the Driller. The fact is that I am on the last level. This level has Dr. Simon, the resident evil nutcase, inhabiting a monstrous, powerful robot. His brain resides in a bubble on top, much like a cherry on a hot fudge Sunday. (Yes, I am still on my eating binge) It is a tremendous fight because you not only have to kill this huge semi-person, but there are a bunch of mutant guards, flying drones etc. to deal with at the same time. I had played the darn level about thirty times and decided to check out someone else's battle. So I went to You-Tube and typed in, Dr. Simon Exoskelet...

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As...