Skip to main content

Iron Man 3, Movie and Game

Hey, everyone. Yesterday I went to see the new Iron Man flick and really enjoyed it. Don't you think that Robert Downey Jr. was born to do this role? Maybe he really was Tony Stark in a past life? His flamboyant, devil-may-care style is endearing. In this film, I love the part where he makes friends with a rural Tennessee lad. Tony is injured, stressed and has a damaged suit. He barters an anti-bullying device into a tuna-fish sandwich and some electronic swag. When you get right down to it, the human element in stories trumps the "wow" factor of special effects. Oh, there are plenty of those in this show. The dramatic attack on Tony's lavish Malibu pad is spectacular.
     Stark's denunciation of the Mandarin for the reporters showed Downey's skill as an actor. Great threat! It gave me cold chills. Always liked a good revenge tale. Like in The Cask Of  Amontillado, in which the dude chained his enemy to a wall and bricked him in.
     I had been playing the popular movie-tie-in game of the same title for a week or so before seeing the movie. I had enjoyed flying the clanking Avenger up Pacific Coast Highway and dodging missiles, planes, trucks and AIM adversaries while doing so. (A.I.M. being the bad guys in the movie. They don't have suits of armor, really; they are transformed genetically into android-type people.) One of Pepper's former admirer's is the head of the organization. The guy, working in concert with the ring-loving Mandarin, kidnaps Pepper and plans to inject her with some of his serum. Diabolical, and certainly shows a lack of imagination on his part.
     I had been to Malibu, several decades ago, and enjoyed the graphics in the game. The sound effects are great when the jets come zooming at you, flipping over precisely as they attack. This game is a probable 4 star because of two things. The time delays for your repairs and the constant demands for in-game spending. Other than that it would be one of the best games of all time on the app store. Man, does it come at you fast! There are cool power-ups that you can snatch as you fly along like a bat out of hell. You have the awesome stun blasts that shoot from your metal hands. There are some small missiles that you can fire which divvy up into multiple warheads. Cool. Then you fly through airplane hangers, zig-zagging around planes and missiles that some varmint has the temerity to fire at you.
    One of my favorite things is flying through a tunnel at about a 1000 MPH, dodging trucks and partitions. Their air-horns blast out in alarm, reverberating from the concrete walls as they are shocked by my sleek metal form, approaching like a rocket. Speaking of evasive maneuvers, go to settings and set your controls to max for sensitivity; you'll need it.
     By the way, the new suits of armor cost dearly and you'll need to spend real money to advance very far. I spent a couple of bucks so far and bought a suit with gold arms. He is fairly low on the food chain but I am becoming attached to the thing. I've spent a lot of time with him.
    I also have played a cool game called Clear Vision 2. In this game you are a hit-man. You receive contract offers by e-mail and take out targets for a surprisingly modest fee. The game itself is free and great fun. It has a cool story that goes with it. It is like a graphic novel which you are inserted into, complete with towns you can go to, stocks to buy and a nightclub you can own. You can upgrade weapons with no in-apps, believe it or not. I highly recommend this one, but it has adult language and is for 17 and older.
    I also got a new game called Lego Star Wars: The Yoda Chronicles. So far, it is a lot of fun. I have just started on it.
    Well, it is a rainy Saturday morning, about daylight, and I think I will sit on my porch swing and drink coffee. Have a great weekend.
    From the author's green retreat, I'm CE Wills.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol

Men In Black 3, Just Empty Black Suits?

    Hey, everyone, out there in the world! Nice of you to stop by. Today I downloaded Men In Black 3 for I-Pad. There were a number of positive reviews on the app store, but there were several reviews that complained about the game failing to open. This was my experience. It opened to the screen shown above and froze there. At least it was free. I have an I-Pad 3, so maybe you will have better luck with yours.     EA games is having a big sale for the holiday weekend. I already have most of the titles which are on sale, however. I did buy several games this weekend, though, and I'd like to tell you about them.    Get Out of My Galaxy is a Mario type of space game in which you control a monster with 4 arms. The dude eats rocks and has a penchant for slapping little cone-headed aliens. There are a certain number of aliens to slap on every planet, then you move on to the next world. There are power-ups to grab as you go along, for health and other things. There is prickly vegetatio