Skip to main content

Louvre HD and The Shepherd's Gift



   Hey, everyone. I have been enjoying an app called Louvre HD. This app has a collection of the famous museum's paintings and again I marvel at the ability to carry so many of the old masters' works in the palm of my hand. I thank the app's creators for this app.
     The above painting is split into three pieces, not because it is that way on the app, because it isn't. Rather, I wanted to enlarge it, take screen shots and talk about it. As usual, I was meditating on the painting, just trying to get into the artist's head a bit.
    The artist is, or was, one Francois Boucher who died in the 18th century. He liked to do landscapes and pastoral pictures and I enjoy them very much. This one is entitled The Shepherd's Presents or The Nest. It is derived from the collection of Louis XV.
     If you can enlarge the part in which the people are, you'll see that the man is pointing to something in the lady's lap. It is a bird's nest, with some baby birds in it. To the right side is a homemade trap and bird cage. It is woven from sticks and even has a feeding trough on one side. The captive would have been able to stick its head through the bars and peck at some seed. Mayhap the lad would grind some grass pods in his hands so the seed would go in the feeder. At any rate, I wonder if he had caught the mother bird and heard the babies' piteous cheeps from the nest. After investigation he found the nest and showed it to the ladies. I guess they let the mother go free, and as soon as they replace the nest, she will doubtless return to it. I hope this is so.
    I wonder if the lady with the nest is the mother of the two girls, now grown women. I say this because she has some grey hair and is dressed a bit more upscale. (Though she is barefoot.) Is it possible that the two tiny fledglings are a type of the mother's own daughters, so near to fleeing the nest for life itself?
     Note that the younger woman on the right is a smidgen in awe of the creation of life in the birds' form. While she watches, her sister(?), the golden-haired lass, keeps on working, sheering the sheep with scissors. She must be like the "Martha" of the family, more practical, the worker who leaves the social niceties to her sister, of the "Mary" sort.
     Speaking of the sheep, we see that they have been moved to the higher country, far above the city we can see in the distance. Of course this is cooler in the summer, as is the relief of being shorn. It seems a nice place for sheep and people, with a flow of fresh water, a pool for soaking one's bare feet and flowers to pick. Note the basket in the lower right.
      The fountain, with its lovely statues, indicates the childish purity of the scene. I suspect that Boucher looked very fondly on his youth in the country, though I have yet to read his story. I plan to in a few minutes.
    The shepherd might have been Boucher himself, in a sweet memory from childhood. Perhaps he painted this from memory as he sat in his flat in Paris, brush in hand. Perhaps this was his own family, come to see him with his flock, while on a flower picking expedition. Perhaps they insisted that their brother let the mother bird go free, as women naturally would. I suspect that, like many great memories, things were not as perfect as they were in his mind's eye. Neither are bad memories always as bad as recalled. For myself, this seems the kind of place I would have liked to work, and fish, and soak my hot feet in the water. And, to have company for talking about books and baby birds, with friends or family. Good day.
P.S. I just looked Boucher up on the web. It seems doubtful that he was painting a scene from childish memory, but, like most authors, creating scenes that we never see is a gift that is quite handy. Have a good day.
   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is his AI, but Cybe