Skip to main content

LEARNING HIS CRAFT

My wife was at work so I started out alone for a walk in the woods behind our house. I took the usual path, winding down a hill through a forest of oak, maple, sourwood and mountain laurel.
    It was winter but a rather pleasant day for that time of the year. The leaves had all fallen, except for the laurel, of course. I think this fact may have saved me from a bad experience.
    I was halfway to the creek and had reached a huge maple we call 'the butt tree' because it has a huge knot on its side that looks like a massive butt. There was a flash of movement up the hill and to the right. When I swung in that direction I saw a young mountain lion who was evidently stalking me as he moved parallel to my course.
    The beast was about half grown and he was still bigger, and much longer, than a german shepherd. When he saw he had been discovered he jumped behind a tree to conceal himself. It was somewhat comical. After a moment he took a peak at me from behind the tree.
    When he saw that I was just standing and watching him, he forsook his stalk and trotted away to the north up a steep ridge where I suspect their cave must be.
    I had my gun with me so I continued my stroll, but I'll never forget being used by a novice to perfect his craft. By the way, always check your back trail periodically.
    CE Wills

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is hi...

Dr. Simon's Exoskeleton (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. Nice to be back with you after a tough, hectic week. We have had some snow, sleet, fog, drizzle, torrential rain and flooding this week.      I'd like to talk, yet again, about Shadowgun , the shooter game for I-Padster. I was much further along than what I thought when I posted about some of the battles yet to be faced for those of you who had just killed the Driller. The fact is that I am on the last level. This level has Dr. Simon, the resident evil nutcase, inhabiting a monstrous, powerful robot. His brain resides in a bubble on top, much like a cherry on a hot fudge Sunday. (Yes, I am still on my eating binge) It is a tremendous fight because you not only have to kill this huge semi-person, but there are a bunch of mutant guards, flying drones etc. to deal with at the same time. I had played the darn level about thirty times and decided to check out someone else's battle. So I went to You-Tube and typed in, Dr. Simon Exoskelet...

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As...