Skip to main content

Paper Birches and Ipad Apps

    Hey, everyone. Just went for a walk in the woods. The general lack of rain is making for dull fall colors. The prettiest trees right now are the birches, which are a pale orange. They are short, scrawny trees but are very nice in the fall. One variety of these is the paper birch. They have bark that peels back of its own accord and looks remarkably like paper. You would like them.
    During our walk we found some fresh scat, very fresh. It was probably from a pretty large animal and most likely not an animal who eats plants and berries. It was deposited at the entrance of a thicket of mountain laurel.
    I thought I'd talk about a few apps for the Apple devices. By the way, I understand that the Iphone went on sale in China this weekend so hello and welcome to all you folks from China who have wandered onto the blog.
    Oregon Trail is a game that has nice graphics. You travel across America during wild-west days in a covered wagon, making decisions about hunting, interacting with people and many other things. It takes a long time to play and is a little boring after a while. For 99cents it's not bad at all. As of this moment I have not made it to Oregon. This is not a must-have app like Plants vs. Zombies or Angry Birds. My wife has beaten every level of Birds which is quite a feat.
    My wife got a free game called Unblock Me Free. This is a free game in which you move puzzle blocks around. It has 400 puzzles on the easy version and she sat on the deck yesterday and played it for hours. Being free it does have ads but it's still pretty cool for a freebie.
    I recently got a free racing game called GT Racing Free. It has awesome graphics. I'm having a bit of a time getting used to a gas and brake pedal which are thumb operated. It's a great game for free but I prefer Real Racing HD by a slight margin. The difference of price between free and the $9.99 that Real Racing costs is certainly significant,though. Then again, compare the $9.99 to the $50 I just gave for a game for the Wii system and you'll see why so many gamers are beginning to dig the app store. That game for the Wii I mentioned is Super Mario Galaxy 2. It has awesome graphics and is certainly entertaining.
    I don't remember if I mentioned Graveyard Shift the other day or not. It's a pretty neat little game for 99 cents. My wife has beat every level. There is also a free version. In this game you remove stone blocks and try to make a skeleton fall in a coffin. It's not as morbid as it sounds and it's worth a buck.
    Being an older guy, I like a retro game called Invaders World Tour. It's like the old Space Invaders that Atari put out many moons ago. You fight alien ships against a backdrop of New York, London and other cities. It's worth a buck.
    Speedy Pigs is a cute little game. A pig in a little pair of swimming trunks( speedos, no doubt), runs through a bunch of hazards which you try to dodge or destroy, depending on the fact that sometimes you have fire and sometimes you don't. I don't like it because it's so fast I can scarcely see it or control it. Then again I'm older and you may like it. At any rate it has a free and a paid version, and at 99 cents for the paid version it's not a high risk proposition. Read the reviews,especially the critical ones that the app store provides. They'll save you some dinero, as I mentioned in a previous blog.
    Finally, a word of thanks to the person who gave me a nice comment on my new short story last night. You are most gracious to take the time to do that.
    From the green retreat, this is CE Wills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol

Men In Black 3, Just Empty Black Suits?

    Hey, everyone, out there in the world! Nice of you to stop by. Today I downloaded Men In Black 3 for I-Pad. There were a number of positive reviews on the app store, but there were several reviews that complained about the game failing to open. This was my experience. It opened to the screen shown above and froze there. At least it was free. I have an I-Pad 3, so maybe you will have better luck with yours.     EA games is having a big sale for the holiday weekend. I already have most of the titles which are on sale, however. I did buy several games this weekend, though, and I'd like to tell you about them.    Get Out of My Galaxy is a Mario type of space game in which you control a monster with 4 arms. The dude eats rocks and has a penchant for slapping little cone-headed aliens. There are a certain number of aliens to slap on every planet, then you move on to the next world. There are power-ups to grab as you go along, for health and other things. There is prickly vegetatio