Skip to main content

Paper Birches and Ipad Apps

    Hey, everyone. Just went for a walk in the woods. The general lack of rain is making for dull fall colors. The prettiest trees right now are the birches, which are a pale orange. They are short, scrawny trees but are very nice in the fall. One variety of these is the paper birch. They have bark that peels back of its own accord and looks remarkably like paper. You would like them.
    During our walk we found some fresh scat, very fresh. It was probably from a pretty large animal and most likely not an animal who eats plants and berries. It was deposited at the entrance of a thicket of mountain laurel.
    I thought I'd talk about a few apps for the Apple devices. By the way, I understand that the Iphone went on sale in China this weekend so hello and welcome to all you folks from China who have wandered onto the blog.
    Oregon Trail is a game that has nice graphics. You travel across America during wild-west days in a covered wagon, making decisions about hunting, interacting with people and many other things. It takes a long time to play and is a little boring after a while. For 99cents it's not bad at all. As of this moment I have not made it to Oregon. This is not a must-have app like Plants vs. Zombies or Angry Birds. My wife has beaten every level of Birds which is quite a feat.
    My wife got a free game called Unblock Me Free. This is a free game in which you move puzzle blocks around. It has 400 puzzles on the easy version and she sat on the deck yesterday and played it for hours. Being free it does have ads but it's still pretty cool for a freebie.
    I recently got a free racing game called GT Racing Free. It has awesome graphics. I'm having a bit of a time getting used to a gas and brake pedal which are thumb operated. It's a great game for free but I prefer Real Racing HD by a slight margin. The difference of price between free and the $9.99 that Real Racing costs is certainly significant,though. Then again, compare the $9.99 to the $50 I just gave for a game for the Wii system and you'll see why so many gamers are beginning to dig the app store. That game for the Wii I mentioned is Super Mario Galaxy 2. It has awesome graphics and is certainly entertaining.
    I don't remember if I mentioned Graveyard Shift the other day or not. It's a pretty neat little game for 99 cents. My wife has beat every level. There is also a free version. In this game you remove stone blocks and try to make a skeleton fall in a coffin. It's not as morbid as it sounds and it's worth a buck.
    Being an older guy, I like a retro game called Invaders World Tour. It's like the old Space Invaders that Atari put out many moons ago. You fight alien ships against a backdrop of New York, London and other cities. It's worth a buck.
    Speedy Pigs is a cute little game. A pig in a little pair of swimming trunks( speedos, no doubt), runs through a bunch of hazards which you try to dodge or destroy, depending on the fact that sometimes you have fire and sometimes you don't. I don't like it because it's so fast I can scarcely see it or control it. Then again I'm older and you may like it. At any rate it has a free and a paid version, and at 99 cents for the paid version it's not a high risk proposition. Read the reviews,especially the critical ones that the app store provides. They'll save you some dinero, as I mentioned in a previous blog.
    Finally, a word of thanks to the person who gave me a nice comment on my new short story last night. You are most gracious to take the time to do that.
    From the green retreat, this is CE Wills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is hi...

Dr. Simon's Exoskeleton (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. Nice to be back with you after a tough, hectic week. We have had some snow, sleet, fog, drizzle, torrential rain and flooding this week.      I'd like to talk, yet again, about Shadowgun , the shooter game for I-Padster. I was much further along than what I thought when I posted about some of the battles yet to be faced for those of you who had just killed the Driller. The fact is that I am on the last level. This level has Dr. Simon, the resident evil nutcase, inhabiting a monstrous, powerful robot. His brain resides in a bubble on top, much like a cherry on a hot fudge Sunday. (Yes, I am still on my eating binge) It is a tremendous fight because you not only have to kill this huge semi-person, but there are a bunch of mutant guards, flying drones etc. to deal with at the same time. I had played the darn level about thirty times and decided to check out someone else's battle. So I went to You-Tube and typed in, Dr. Simon Exoskelet...

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As...