Skip to main content

I Have No Surrogate

    Hey, everyone. I've had a nice weekend and I hope that you have too. The temperatures have moderated a bit here in the south but without the anticipated rainfall. We are really dry. My creek has been dry for several months.
    I tried to watch one of the preseason NFL games this weekend and that didn't work out well. There were commercials superimposed on the screen during game-play so I watched less than 5 minutes of the telecast and turned it off. Thus far the NFL has been quite strict about this during regular season games and I hope they continue to do so. I'm at a point where I could do without Football in a heartbeat. I enjoy it, but my patience with sports and marketing and greed and arrogance is rocking on the edge. Whatever.
     I'm really enjoying a game for the Padster called Real Golf 2011. I've mentioned it before but I wanted to tell you about something odd, or cool that happened to me. I had been playing in a couple of tournaments, which adds a new dimension to the game-play. You don't interact with anyone but you are shown on a leaderboard with all the players that are playing at that time. It is exciting to watch yourself rise and fall after each hole. The announcer says things like, "His less than stellar play will of course cause him to fall on the leaderboard." Cool.
    But all that is not what I wanted you to hear about. The other night I was playing in a mode where you make your shot and have to watch other avatars make theirs. This is not my favorite, or normal way to play so I just shut the game off and went to bed. The next day when I was going to play a regular tourney and I started to tee off, I saw that there was a shot clock on the screen. If I didn't make each shot in 14 seconds, I had a one shot penalty imposed. I wound up playing well and finished high on the board but can you beat that? I don't know whether to be angry or just impressed with the realism of this thing. I assume that because I made everyone wait, due to my quitting, that I was being punished like those guys on the PGA Tour who goof around and watch the flight of their golf ball and delay everyone.
    Hobbies are good to have, don't you think? I can remember a time or two that I didn't feel like I really had a reason to get out of bed. I am the type of person that needs to have something going or a project of some sort. If I don't, I am likely to get depressed. I have a lot to do these days, for sure. Blogging and writing and the I-Pad stuff, with a big interest in gaming, to name a few. I read a lot, as well. Movies and TV are a pass-time, but not so much as they used to be. I am a prodigious consumer of entertainment.
    I am reading a hardcover book called The Defector, by Daniel Silva. I have read a number of his books and they are pretty good. This one is good, so far. His books are a series about an Israeli spy named Gabriel Allon. Gabriel, besides his espionage hobby, also restores old paintings. This is a facet of the character I enjoy because I have a certain unlearned interest in art. If you are looking for a new author, this guy could be a match for you. By the way, the hardcover cost me $7.97 on sale. I just checked on I-Books and the ebook of this title is $9.99. Hardly a bargain.
    Tonight I watched the movie called Surrogates on TV. I think I have already done a review of it but let me say, this movie is a chilling  film. The people of the world have quit living, almost, and let robots do all the things outside their own homes. Work, shop, almost everything. If you haven't seen it, you should check it out.
    Well, I suppose that I should get some shut-eye. I have no surrogate to do my chores, here at the green retreat.
    I'm CE Wills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol

Men In Black 3, Just Empty Black Suits?

    Hey, everyone, out there in the world! Nice of you to stop by. Today I downloaded Men In Black 3 for I-Pad. There were a number of positive reviews on the app store, but there were several reviews that complained about the game failing to open. This was my experience. It opened to the screen shown above and froze there. At least it was free. I have an I-Pad 3, so maybe you will have better luck with yours.     EA games is having a big sale for the holiday weekend. I already have most of the titles which are on sale, however. I did buy several games this weekend, though, and I'd like to tell you about them.    Get Out of My Galaxy is a Mario type of space game in which you control a monster with 4 arms. The dude eats rocks and has a penchant for slapping little cone-headed aliens. There are a certain number of aliens to slap on every planet, then you move on to the next world. There are power-ups to grab as you go along, for health and other things. There is prickly vegetatio