Skip to main content

The Hummingbird Caper

    Hey, everyone. We have a hummingbird that hangs around. He is a cute little guy and quite harmless. Imagine our irritation when we were walking across the back yard, two days ago, and found his dead body. He was a mess and I won't show you the picture we took of his remains out of decorum. The question is, what happened?
    We have had many odd things happen here. Several years ago, when we fed birds on a big feeder, we found a decapitated bird on the feeder. After a lengthy CSI investigation we concluded that an evil cat had killed the bird and left his corpse there to vex us. I find it strange that the perpetrator did not eat the bird in either case. In the recent case of the hummingbird, I proposed that the bird had merely flown into something and killed itself. This happens fairly often as they try to fly  through a window or a set of glass doors. It is sad, but so are many things in life. My wife pointed out that the hummingbird was 20 feet away from any object that he could have brained himself on. Furthermore, she said, the whole back half of the bird has been chomped away, leaving him a mere shadow of his former self.
    "Perhaps it was a cat who was on a diet, like an Atkins diet?" I said. My wife merely rolled her eyes and continued her post mortem examination of the remains.
     The hummingbird really brought a little joy into our lives. He was a happy dude and would often hover within a foot or so of our faces as he buzzed around the flowers close to our deck. I never allow myself to become attached to animals because it inevitably ends badly, as in this case. It seems a bit vindictive of a stray cat to kill this beautiful and aeronautically talented creature and then fail to eat him. I decided to analyse the cat's deep seated hostility. Here are a few reasons I've come up with.
1.) As a kitten, he was frightened by a hummingbird.
2.) He had a flower-colored birth mark close to his rear end and well...
3.) It was a drunk, college cat who did this on a dare by his friends. He was so drunk, he was nearly cat-atonic.
4.) This cat was watching an old Alice Cooper concert. The one where the rocker bit the head off a bat. Then he just freaked and attacked the bird.
5.) This cat had hopes of being on an episode of Columbo or CSI.
6.) This was the Wilbur and Orville Wright of the cat world. After a lifetime of frustration due to his inability to fly, he just went berserk. The nearest flying object bore the consequences.
7.) An incredibly wealthy cat grew bored and wanted to prove he could commit the perfect crime. Even now he is laughing aloud at the puny efforts of the authorities to bring him to justice. Doubtless, we will hear of a whole string of these grisly executions across the bird world.
8.) At one time this cat lived in a home where the owner's love was usurped by a bird. The cat was put out on the street to forage for himself. Now he lives for revenge.
9.) The cat's owner bought a copy of the Angry Birds game. The cat was neglected and starved to the point where the mere sight of a bird sends him into a fit of rage.
10.) At an early age, the cat's owner shaved it with electric clippers. Now, any hint of buzzing is more than he can bear.
11.) The cat stopped short of consuming the bird due to remorse. I expect to find the cat in the woods tomorrow, where he has hung himself from a tree limb. He could not deal with the shame.
12.) The cat only ate a portion of the bird because the hummingbird practiced poor hygiene. He smelled so bad as to be unpalatable.
     Rest assured, we are still on the case and the investigation continues apace. We have innumerable leads which I cannot divulge. From the scene of the crime, I'm CE Wills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol

Men In Black 3, Just Empty Black Suits?

    Hey, everyone, out there in the world! Nice of you to stop by. Today I downloaded Men In Black 3 for I-Pad. There were a number of positive reviews on the app store, but there were several reviews that complained about the game failing to open. This was my experience. It opened to the screen shown above and froze there. At least it was free. I have an I-Pad 3, so maybe you will have better luck with yours.     EA games is having a big sale for the holiday weekend. I already have most of the titles which are on sale, however. I did buy several games this weekend, though, and I'd like to tell you about them.    Get Out of My Galaxy is a Mario type of space game in which you control a monster with 4 arms. The dude eats rocks and has a penchant for slapping little cone-headed aliens. There are a certain number of aliens to slap on every planet, then you move on to the next world. There are power-ups to grab as you go along, for health and other things. There is prickly vegetatio