Skip to main content

Intellivision

    The elderly among you will get a kick out of this picture. Yes, those are Intellivision Games, made by Mattel, back in the 1970's (?) or 1980's. Yes, I was an adult at that time. Yes, this was Atari's competitor, which never really seemed to catch on, though it was a better gaming system, in my opinion.
     The graphics were simplistic by today's standards, but the games were a lot of fun and I played them for untold hours. They provided a welcome diversion from studying Nuclear Theory. My favorite games were Space Armada, Nightstalker and Advanced Dungeons and Dragons.
      Space Armada was like Space Invaders, but much cooler. The farther you went, the cooler it got. There were invisible creatures that you could only locate by watching them eat your defenses. There were flying saucers that went back and forth at the top of the screen and later in the game would descend to the bottom and apply the killing blow. If you shot one, you got a new bunker. I played this game well past the point reached by my peers and really loved it.
      Nightstalker was another fun game. Your stick man had a safe house, in a maze. When he ventured forth, bats, spiders and a variety of robots attacked him. You had a gun that shot very slow-moving bullets. Sometimes the robots could dodge the pellets by ducking around the corners of the maze. It was full of strategy. I would jump out of the refuge, shoot, and go back in. It would frustrate the evil robots. Some robots took more bullets to kill.
     Another favorite was Advanced Dungeons and Dragons. You were on an adventure in a cave. You felt your way around in the dark, knowing that there were snakes and dragons concealed. They were just lying in wait, hoping to jump your bones. If you crept around, slowly, you could hear their breathing, or hissing, before the attack, and shoot an arrow into the hole. At this point the creature would utter a roar of pain and rage, rush out and try to chomp on your behindus. The tension was palpable when you heard their growls from the darkness.
    Then they came out with the Intellivoice feature. The game would talk to you and offer commentary, which was very cutting-edge technology for that time. There was this one game called B-17 Bomber. The voice was done in a very country voice with a slow drawl in a southern accent. It was funny. Actually, the guy sounded sort of like me...
    The games came with plastic overlays which you slid into grooves on the controllers. In this manner you could see what each button did.
    We wore out the device and they quit making them. A few years ago, I saw one in the Want Ads and drove a hundred miles to buy a used, ancient device and all the games which the dude had. He almost changed his mind and clung to the box a moment as I was leaving. I rarely play it anymore. Never, actually.
    Is it any wonder that I vege out with I-Pad games, considering my history with Intellivision? It is funny, though; from the early 1980's to the advent of the I-Pad, I never played a single video game. No X-Box, no Playstation. Typically I overindulge a hobby for a few years, then cast it aside with apparent disdain. Will the I-Pad find a similar fate? Time will tell.
I'm CE Wills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol

Men In Black 3, Just Empty Black Suits?

    Hey, everyone, out there in the world! Nice of you to stop by. Today I downloaded Men In Black 3 for I-Pad. There were a number of positive reviews on the app store, but there were several reviews that complained about the game failing to open. This was my experience. It opened to the screen shown above and froze there. At least it was free. I have an I-Pad 3, so maybe you will have better luck with yours.     EA games is having a big sale for the holiday weekend. I already have most of the titles which are on sale, however. I did buy several games this weekend, though, and I'd like to tell you about them.    Get Out of My Galaxy is a Mario type of space game in which you control a monster with 4 arms. The dude eats rocks and has a penchant for slapping little cone-headed aliens. There are a certain number of aliens to slap on every planet, then you move on to the next world. There are power-ups to grab as you go along, for health and other things. There is prickly vegetatio