Skip to main content

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.
    Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.
     I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy is to launch a grenade that looks like a can. Then they transport behind you and do it again. Two clean hits are usually enough to put the coup de gras on you, so just shoot the dude with a rocket and then spin around and blast once more for the kill, because he is already behind you. Of course, there are places ahead in which you are fighting them, the flying robots who go into a death spin when hit, the exploding spider robots, the storm trooper dudes and the huge mechs, all at the same time. You have to pick out a fortified shield and hunker down, using your automatic weapon in spurts, then ducking down again.
    There are also these guys who come after you while they hold a full-body shield in front of them. You can toss a grenade at them or shoot them with a rocket. If you have to, you can shoot them with bullets when they expose their sides or, if they are close, shoot them through their viewports. I find that particularly satisfying.
      One difficult situation is encountered around level 5 or 6. There are two exhaust ports for rocket engines you must pass. They fire, stop, fire. There is no way to get by both of them at once. Not enough time. So you have to pass one and stop on just the right spot where you are safe from the blast of both. Then let the second one fire and stop before going again.
    At one point you kick open a door and have a cyborg in your face. I was fortunate enough to have my rocket launcher in hand and blasted him into blue dust on the first try. I will henceforth call him The Blue Duster. He was much prettier in death than in life. He is on level 8 or 9, I believe.
    I think it is on level 8 where you activate a switch and a box car that is hanging from a crane opens up and yields a bunch of attackers. They are the flying drones who spin when shot. Hunker down behind a shield, kill them and then do this: There are two yellow lights on the now-closed box-car. Shoot those lights out which will open the box car. Then walk through it to get to the other side of the powerhouse. I call Dr. Simon's odd abode a powerhouse because it reminds me of power-plants that  I have spent a large part of my life in. I must admit there weren't as many mutants in the ones in which I worked.
    Oh, almost forgot. At one point you are attacked by a flying drone much larger and more aggressive than the others. It has a name and it talks to you while it kills you. It looks like a golden Tye Fighter, escaped from a Star Wars movie. They put the name on the screen when you die which affords little satisfaction. It is called the Windbreaker. In answer to your question, it in no way resembles your grandfather after he eats chili with beans. The name is odd but certainly as good as Cyber Lobster. Oh? You want to know how to kill it? The thing is armored and you can blast away with missiles and bullets to no avail. But, it has intake ports, like a jet engine has on an airplane. Shoot bullets into these ports and you shall prevail. While you are doing this, make sure you are cowering behind an armored shield.
     I have almost forgiven the developers for the Driller now. Shadowgun is a great game. Along with 9MM, Real Golf 2011, Carnivores, Modern Combat 2 and 3, Asphalt 6, Rainbow Six, Rage and Nova 2, Shadowgun helps make I-Pad Gaming intense fun. Good night and good hunting.
   From the shooter's green retreat, this is John Slade, Shadowgun.  

Comments

  1. Just awesome, best graphic on a mobile I've ever seen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not fair almost forgiving them for Driller when you didn't actually get past the Driller yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey. Thanks for your comment. I replied a moment ago and forgot to hit publish. Ha, ha. Don't get many comments here at the green retreat.
      You are absolutely right about the no fair comment. My pard Trevor is a freak at gaming. He just has a gift. His dad played completely through a lot of the tougher games from his youth and Trevor got the same gene or something. That said, I paid for the whole game and I'm not too badly ashamed to cheat a bit. Ha, ha. Hope you enjoy Dead Trigger, by the same developers. It is pretty gory, though.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is his AI, but Cybe