Skip to main content

Scattered Leaves and Scattered Thoughts


     Hey, everyone.Carley and I have hung around the house today and we performed mundane duties. For instance, we raked leaves. What a huge job that is here at the green retreat. It is good exercise, however. I thought I would show you a short video of how bare the woods are now. In the valley there are still plenty of leaves, but there are not a lot of them here in the mountains.
     My problem is that I really stink at any thing concerning photography so my video is turned sideways. Funny.
    Hey. Try an app called 7 Billion by National Geographic, which deals with climate change and the number of humans on earth reaching the total of ...7 billion. Then try a cute little freebie game called Running Wild, which is free for today. It is a running type of game, with a puzzle style. Not my type of game but it is pretty cute. Carley likes it.
   Today I finally tried something which I have been intending to do for months. I started playing multiplayer with the I-Pad on local Wi-Fi. First, I used air play and my little Apple TV set-top box. ( about 100 bucks) to start streaming my I-Pad 2 to the television in the living room. It was pretty cool. Everthing that was on the screen of my Padster was on the TV. I put my I-Pad version of Rage HD on there and played it. Very cool, seeing all those mutants get blown away on a 60 inch screen. Then I put Real Racing 2 on there and set her I-Pad and mine up for a race. For some reason we didn't get the vaunted split screen on the TV. It showed my car all the way but I only saw her's when we were close to each other. I'm not a skilled tech person. It irritates me but I rarely get all the use out of any device I own because they are usually capable of much more than I am willing to learn how to do.
     I put both of us on a similar deal where we would both play as a team on Nova 2. That didn't go well either. I think it will take me a while to gain the skills necessary for enjoyment of this technology. We did manage to play Real Golf 2011 together. We both appeared on the screen in our turn and it went well. So there is hope that I will enter the current century.
     When you want to air play (stream) something to your TV, you'll need the apple tv box. Then open the game you want to play on your I-Pad. Then double tap the home button of the I-Pad to bring up the bottom panel with icons. Swipe that until you see the control panel that has volume controls and stuff. Find the rectangle with the arrow in it and push that. There will be a box that appears and you'll need to select apple TV. That will make your game appear on your TV. The whole thing was a bit more involved than I expected. I guess it would get easier with practice.
    I don't know about you folks overseas but here in the states it is hard to get a comfortable bed. You buy one and it sags within a couple of months. We bought the memory foam bed for $1500 and it was no good. We tried water beds and air beds. The air mattresses leaked pretty quick, except for the nice one by Sleep Number. The problem with it was that we bought the dual control job that has two sections. You tend to roll down in the crack between them. So we bought yet another one today. It is a single chamber, single control. I have high hopes that we can put this fiasco, and myself, to rest.
      Didn't you feel bad for the baseball fans in Texas after that World Series loss? Twice they were within a single strike of the championship and couldn't seal the deal. I vaguely remember that team when they were in D.C. many decades ago. When I think of some old guy that has followed them, all these years, sitting there dying by inches, watching that Game 6... I feel for them. As a Braves fan who suffered decades of mediocrity, I feel your pain, Ranger fans. In my opinion, the rain that set the Series back a day was huge for the Cards. I don't dislike the Cardinals but, hey, they have 11 Championships. Let's spread that stuff around.
    I cruised by that new stadium in St. Louis last summer. It sits right on the interstate. It's done in brick, like an older park. I remember guys like Red Schoendinst (?? Spelling), Stan the Man Musial, Curt Flood, Tim McCarver and Bob Gibson; back in the day. I used to sneak a transistor radio to bed and listen to the Cardinal games at night. Lou Brock was another cool player. Those were great years for sports.
     I have another video of the woods, taken this afternoon, that has some odd pixel action to it. I will put it on here so you can get a feel for the change in this place when the leaves fall. It can be a bit depressing when you lose all that color and the woods look so stark. It does, however, let more sunlight in to this place we call the author's green retreat. Good night.
    I'm Ce Wills. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is his AI, but Cybe