Skip to main content

The Dark Night and New Games

     Hey, everyone. The rather odd photos you see above were taken last night. We had a long power outage. This place gets black as pitch when the power is out. Luckily, I had split some oak chunks and stacked a quantity of it on the hearth. I started a fire and believe it or not, it brightened the place up. (You wouldn't know it from the pics.) I also lit an old kerosene lamp that Carley keeps on the dresser.
      My wife was in bed so I tended the fire, drank iced tea and watched the flames. My I-Padster was fully charged and I played a lot of games, most notably the terrific shooter called Rainbow Six. I also played a freebie called Bullet Time, which seems pretty good after a limited time of playing it. After I fought many bad guys, I started reading, again on the I-Pad, and Abe Lincoln probably would have liked the back-lit screen better than reading by firelight. I read several free samples, trying to decide on which one to buy for my next read. One was a book about Rafael Nadal, my favorite tennis player. Another one was by Brad Thor, Path of the Assassin. I have never read one of Brad's books but I like his style. I also checked out a book by John Grisham, who is hard to beat if you like legal thrillers.
    As I sat and watched the fire, getting up to throw another log on it occasionally, I grew sleepy. I spread an Indian blanket over me and extended the recliner. I thought about being a kid and going to Granny's house, where they never had power. I thought about those dark cold nights and trips to the outhouse. I thought about playing marbles and seeing your favorite one go down a crack in the floor. I thought about how they plowed a field with a big, mean horse named Kit that scared the tar out of me. I thought about how living in a dark land, far from help, left its mark on people. I thought about that place that the good book talks about where there is total darkness and knew I never want to go there because darkness really is a bummer. I thought about blind people and admired their guts as they deal with a reality that I can't imagine. I thought about the light bulb and power and how some woods put out more flame and less heat, how some smoke and smell and others have perfumed smoke. Finally, as I dozed off, I thought about my granny's gentle hand smoothing the hair on my forehead as I used to doze off with her telling me a story.
    For those of you who dig the Japanese style games, there is a new freebie out called Kyotokei. I haven't played it much but I like it. You fly along shooting all sorts of quirky monsters and nubile faeries. They fire missiles at you, red and blue in color. If you are red when the red ones hit you, that's cool, because you absorb their power and gain strength toward having your own missile. If you are the opposite color, not so good. The cool thing is this; you can change your color, your polarity, if you will. This adds a nice, different touch to the shooter genre. The graphics are quite good, as well.
     Let me say, for the benefit of those of you who are new to Apple products and are just getting your feet wet on the gaming, get an app called App Shopper. It's free and will tell you what is new, popular, or has been marked down in price. Trust me, if you want to game on the cheap, this app will see to it that you never have to pay for games. This week alone, there is a ton of new, free games on the store. Typically, I try 6 or 8 games a week and wind up discarding most of them. But my I-Pad is packed to the gills with good games. Also, if you can stand the pressure of not having the latest and best of everything, wait a few weeks on those $6.99 games and you'll get them at a very reasonable price. About three weeks ago, I saw a new game called Riptide GP. This game is a racing game and I play every racing game. This one has jet skis and the graphics are really nice. When it came out, the price was a hefty (For I-Pad) $4.99. Just a few weeks later, today, I bought it on sale for 99 cents.
    Also for the new folks, when you see a new game that you like, jot the name down or just remember it. The chances are good that on the next holiday, there will be a sale and you can grab that game for 99 cents. Most of my favorite games I bought for that so-reasonable price. That way, if the darn thing won't seem to let you beat a certain level, or the game totally #**, then the frustration level is not so acute. Another gaming strategy. If there's a lite (free) version of a game, try that first, to see if you like it. Another ploy is to go to You-Tube and watch a walkthrough of that game before you buy. This also works if you are stuck trying to kill a cyberlobster or something, although I figured that one out on my own.
    Flipboard is a good, free app that has app news sections that are very helpful. On Pulse, another free news app, you can add a section for 148 apps or Touch Arcade. They are the class acts of the gaming sites, in my opinion. If you want to read app news from a strange guy, try CE Wills. He has an odd sense of humor, I hear.
    The whole IOS gaming thing is a fun little community, with a lot to learn and enjoy. It doesn't have to be expensive. If you shop carefully, your I-Pad can pay for itself in the entertainment savings you experience. Be prepared to watch less TV, have more to chat about with kids and grandkids, etc.
    Hey, another quirky, little, free game for this week is Sarge. It's really not my style of game but it is a neat 'pick up and play' game to pass some time. For free it is a nice game.
    True to form I have rambled on. From the author's green retreat, where there is now light, I bid you a good day.
   I'm CE Wills.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is his AI, but Cybe