Skip to main content

Movie Review: Wild Things

     Hey, everyone. We ventured out to civilization yesterday. We ate at a cafeteria. I was going to go to a movie but the film I wanted to see was already gone. I had thought about seeing the Johnny Depp film called The Rum Diaries but I suppose if 'you snooze, you lose'. It seems to be a bad time for good movies right now. I did watch a good older movie on TV last night. The flick was Wild Things. This has Kevin Bacon, Bill Murray, Matt Dillon, and Neve Campbell. Here's the recipe.
    Matt Dillon plays the role of Sam Lombardo, a high school guidance counselor who is accused of forcing his attentions on two of his students. That would certainly be a story but that is barely the start. If I tell you much about it, I may ruin it for you. The situation is complicated. One of the girls involved is wealthy. Her mother ( Theresa Russel as Sandra Van Ryan) and the defendant have a history. A dangerous, crooked cop, played by Kevin Bacon, intends to fulfill his own agenda by hook or crook. He wants Sam in jail, or does he?
     This story has more twists than a piggie's tail, believe me. I loved the performance by all of the characters, which means good directing, and whoever wrote it is a genius. Denise Richards plays one of the accusers, Kelly Van Ryan. She and Suzie have an odd relationship and a hidden agenda. Bill Murray plays Sam's slightly(?) crooked lawyer. The show is loaded with stars. Robert Ryan is in it as well. Is your thing courtroom drama? You have it here. How about a murder mystery down in the Florida swamps ? It has that covered. Daughter against mother? Rogue cop? Oh yeah. Lust, betrayal? Sure. Dead bodies galore. Dental manipulation? Ha, ha ha.
    I hate trying to tell a story without telling a story, if you know what I mean. But if you can stand some adult themes and adult language, nudity, violence, and suspense, try this one. I rate it as 4.5 stars out of 5. When you make a movie, you can opt for a big star, a great story or eye-popping beautiful women as the hook. This movie has all that and more. It is a keeper.
    But hey, this was not my whole day. It was a rainy evening at home and I took a chance on being eaten by a mountain lion by sleeping with the window open. It was sort of pleasant, holding my wife while she slept, listening to the rain drip from the forest outside. I arose in the middle of the night and played a game called Rainbow Six on my Padster. This game is on sale for 99 cents, a definite bargain. You are a Seal Team Commander. Your team is tasked with missions ranging from killing terrorists to rescuing hostages. It is mega-cool and you don't get irrevocably stuck in it like some of the shooter games. You can make progress and have some success. Don't you feel like that is important in most of life's endeavors? That's like music. I think it's important to be able to play a song quickly when you are learning an instrument. Otherwise, where's the reward, the inspiration, the satisfaction? Sorry, I am rambling a bit tonight.
    We were in Books-a-Million yesterday and Carley bought a tiny jig-saw puzzle. It is so small that they give you a pair of tweezers in the box. The picture above has a penny in it but it is not a U.S. penny. I believe it is Canadian and it is larger than a U.S. cent piece. I put it there to show you how small this thing is. She has done a puzzle,(years ago) that covers most of a wall. It is one of those Ravensberger puzzles. It took her and a comrade about a year to do it. Anyway, she was quiet as a mouse while working on this tiny puzzle. Meanwhile I was playing Rainbow Six. My boss in the game told me specifically not to use a grenade when I went on this oil platform after some guys. Did I listen? Nooooooo! I blew the whole place up. That's the way I spent my day, here at the author's green retreat.
     I'm CE Wills.
P.S. My latest entry in the western series is on Amazon and Smashwords. Notch 5 is the name, and action is the game. The cover picture is one that I own. It is over a hundred years old and is on a piece of cardboard about a fourth of an inch thick. If you look at the guys in the photo you'll see bulges at their sides. At the time of the photo, in the west where this was taken, it was cool to wear guns but you wore them under your coat. One of the guys is related to me, by the way. Adios!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is his AI, but Cybe