Skip to main content

Candy Canes And Multiplayer Pain

    Hey, everyone. I've had a busy day. We trekked out to a point of civilization. (Actually we drove, but it doesn't sound as cool.) Anyway, we went out to eat at a town about 60 miles away. I ate some Bourbon Street Chicken, among other things. I don't believe this particular chicken was ever on Bourbon Street but it tasted good nonetheless. It was spicy and tender. I had a salad with it which had all the usual stuff, plus boiled eggs and other things too numerous to mention. I had ranch dressing on it. I also ate potatoes, mac and cheese and a bowl of orange sherbert for dessert.
      I was curious to see if Black Friday was as crazy as anticipated. It wasn't that bad. I did ask a sales clerk if they had been busy and she said it had been crazy very early that morning. I had noticed on line that Wal-Mart was supposed to have X-Box 360 for $139 and Rage, the game, for X-Box, for $30. So I asked a guy at the store where they were. He laughed at my naivete. "Dude, those sold out about 5AM this morning."
    Didn't bother me because I didn't plan on buying that stuff anyway. I was just curious. We went over to the cinema and the parking lot was full to overflowing. Most of them were there to see the vampire movie, I guess. I didn't really see anything I wanted to watch on the marquis and neither did my wife, so we didn't go in. I understand that the Twilight flick has an intense scene which is causing a very few people to go into convulsions. Obviously this is no joking matter, but when Sharon Stone crossed her legs in that one movie with Michael Douglas, it made sweat pop out on my brow. Seriously, I guess the scene has a lot of flashing lights and stuff. In the vampire movie, I mean.
    Moving on. Hey, we went to one of those stores called Everything's a Dollar. The deal is this: everything in the store is cheap. Ha, ha. I like a change of pace in my food and I found some cool candy canes. I bought 3 flavors.
1) Blueberry
2) Mint Chocolate Gourmet
3) Strawberry & Cream. I particularly like this one because it is slavered with coconut shavings and has a sort of chewy center. I don't want to give the impression that I am self-indulgent but maybe I am.
      I went into Books-A-Million and walked around shaking my head at the high prices. The print business of books is eagerly wanting to destroy themselves by overpricing. Whatever. When the wolf is at the door, does the wise homeowner toss raw meat out the window?
     When we finally returned home it was still 54 degrees so I thought that I would grill some steaks. Carley had a package of pork ribs that she had boiled and soaked in barbecue sauce and she asked if I would grill them too. I did. We ate a petite meal of steak, ribs, french fries, rolls, and salad. I washed it down with some red wine. Then I ate an ice cream sandwich. (Nothing to do with computers). Sorry, a little tech joke. After all this I felt that it was imperative to take a nap, so I did. Then I arose and watched Baggage on TV. Finally, I decided to talk my wife into playing I-Pad games on multi-player. She is a puzzler and she doesn't play shooters, but she graciously consented to play. We played Modern Combat 3, Fallen Nation, and it was fun, but she liked Nova 2 better. We played the map pack I bought for two bucks which I described on the blog the other day. When we played on the floating platforms she was continually walking off the edge of cliffs because she is still learning to use the controls. I would sometimes see her down below me. She would be walking backward in her little red suit and it appeared almost like she was moon-walking, like Michael Jackson. I would laugh until she would sneak up behind me and blast me to Kingdom Come with this fearsome gun she picked up somewhere.
     She did even better when we switched over to the map which is on a beach. She had no cliffs to walk off in this segment and she found her bad-looking gun again. In short time she had sent me to sleep with the fishes, like Luca Brasi in the Godfather. But it was fun and I am a good loser, sometimes, just to fake people off until I can exact my revenge.
     So, I sit here, licking my wounds, and blogging, at the author's green retreat.
    I'm CE Wills.
P.S. I must confess that all this time I did not understand what they meant when they talked about playing multi-player on local wi-fi. I thought it was on-line in the sense that you would be playing against strangers, where you might be hacked or something. What it is, really, is simply that you are playing against your own family, at home, on the Wi-Fi network which you have set up to use with all your devices. I wish that I had understood this a long time ago. My purpose in declaring my ignorance about this is so that elderly people like myself will read this and understand the deal. Goodnight.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is his AI, but Cybe