Skip to main content

E-Readers, People and Hammers

    Hey, everyone. A few days ago I dropped by Best Buy and looked at their impressive display of E-Readers.  They had an entire aisle, both sides, devoted to the devices. There were multiple Kindles, Nooks and many others that I had never heard of. I was surprised to see that the vast majority of them were 7 inch screens. I guess this is what analysts think is the coming thing. Maybe folks want to stick them in a purse or book bag. Best Buy had a display model for each of them, hooked up and ready to try out. I turned every one of them on and checked them for responsiveness, crispness of display and all that. The device with the best display was one that I had never heard of and I have forgotten the name of it.
     This is going to sound dumb but I really liked the packaging for the Kindles. It made me think about people, as most things do. Isn't it funny how important appearance is for things, and for people too? Not that the Kindle is anything other than a top-notch device. But packaging is important. I think that most of the E-Readers I saw would be fine for your use.
     Some of the best people I've ever met have been as homely as a mud fence. Then, after you get to know them, you never think about their physical appearance. You begin to see them through the prism of their personality and they are beautiful. If someone says that they are ugly it is a bit of a shock to us because they are long past initial impressions in our life. Of course, there are those who are attractive and very nice, but that is a rare combination.
     As a sports fan, I am constantly amused at the scout's analysis of college football players. "He can run 40 yards in 4.3 seconds. He can jump 36 inches vertically." Yes, but can he catch the ball? The NFL is full of players like this because scouts are people too. They are influenced by the appearance, the packaging, and not the essence or functionality of the person.
     If a game has great graphics and poor gameplay it may make money but will not reach the pinnacle of success. Functionality is important. It should be fun, it should work and it should be reasonably priced. Books should be engrossing in whatever format they are bought. A music service should work, above all else. It should be pretty much hassle free. A potential spouse should be functional. Form is fine but a person should be there for you, be dependable, work for a living, be kind. Many creative, intriguing, good-looking people make the worst spouses.
     Weird to have E-Readers prompt such a thought pattern. The same people just seem to get things right in life. If you buy a hammer for the holidays it should work and not break. Metal chips should not fly off the head when you strike something. The handle shouldn't break. If you want to use it for roofing or framing, you'll want a heavier head. Depending on what type material the handle is made of, they bounce more. A wooden one bounces less. If they bounce a lot, a hammer will wear you out over the course of a day. I like a wooden handle but they can break, rarely. If you get a hammer with grooves cut in the head, it will grip the nail more when it strikes and result in fewer mishits and bent nails.
    So, with all these choices in E-Readers and people and hammers, how does one know what's best? I wish I could tell you. Maybe it's just as simple as this. When you see it, you just know. When you hold them in your arms you just know, when you swing it or drive a nail or listen to a song or read a book on it or see that face when you get home from a hard day, it, or they, just seem right. The longer you have them, the more you appreciate them. Like my hammer or these wore-out jeans.
    From the mud fence of people and authors and in defense of that breed, I'm CE Wills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is his AI, but Cybe