Skip to main content

Jersey Boys

Hey, everyone. Carley and I ventured out to the haunts of men this afternoon. We had a nice meal and bought some books, real paper ones. Then we went to see the movie called Jersey Boys. This is the story of the popular band known as The Four Seasons. We really enjoyed it and both of us would rate it as 4.5 stars out of 5. Here's the recipe.
     Frankie Valli and his friends are raised in New Jersey. Frankie, Tommy and Dickie are a small time band until they hire a new member of the group who is a terrific songwriter. The rest, as they say, is history. It is not necessarily a pleasant bit of history for those who lived it, but it made for a terrific movie.
    The showing we went to was almost full at mid-day. It was mostly oldsters like myself, but there were a few young folks there. With that many old prostates in the crowd, it was shocking that no one left the theater to visit the restroom during the show. Other than me. Ha, ha. Clint Eastwood produced and directed this film. He is old enough to identify with this era of music and he is also a former professional pianist, having worked his way through college by playing in bars. (Jazz) Let me say that the acting is good throughout the movie, which means Clint did a good job as director.
     When I got home just now and ran down a few reviews, I was shocked to see how the movie was criticized. I can see how younger reviewers might think it less magical because of the generation(s) gap, however.
     I thought the movie would be a typical story of famous people who destroy their lives and families with drugs and I was pleasantly surprised that it was more upbeat. Oh, yeah, plenty of bad stuff went down, as life arranges sometimes, but they moved on fairly quickly from that stuff. Yeah, they had to deal with crooked people in the record business, and in their own circle of friends. How would you like to tour a few years just to pay your friend's debts to the mob, then find out he took money from your accounts to use for his own ends?
     This movie has a great sound track, as you would expect. Songs like Walk Like a Man, My Eyes Adored You, Stay, Rag Doll and Sherry, my personal favorite.
      Really, should anyone have to perform on Ed Sullivan after being threatened by a gangster? How rude! By the way, I can remember seeing that show, as well as their American Bandstand appearance. Back then, we jumped on the chance to see shows like Hullaballo (Tuesday night), Shindig (Wednesday night) and Where the Action Is (Weekdays after school). Any place we could see some Rock and Roll. Paul Revere and the Raiders, I still love you guys. Seriously.
     I can well imagine that all the relatives and friends of famous people just cringe when they hear that a movie is being made about that person. Wouldn't you start to think, "Oh my goodness, will they put that bit in the movie where I did this body function at an inappropriate time?"  Or you said this stupid thing, or failed to be there for someone. Then everyone in America knows your crap, as it were. Like the guy in the show that blows his nose on towels, then throws them in the motel room floor. Then Clint and Frankie tell the world about it??? Ha, ha. The next day at church your priest says, "Dude, I saw that movie and you need to have better hygiene".
     Here's my thought. If God spilled the beans on the best of us, it would be embarrassing in the extreme. We are all pitiful, flawed creatures.
     Here's a nice exercise for you. If you became famous tomorrow, how would a film of your life render you, your wife, your mother? Ask yourself who they would get to play your character? Would this film be a comedy, a tragedy, a crime drama? Would it inspire hope, sadness? Would it make future generations feel that you were a success or a failure?
     The bottom line is this: This show is a terrific movie and if you can be tolerant of your granny's music and the like, take your girlfriend to see it this weekend. Probably, she will be appreciative, like Carley, just to get the hell away from the superhero films for a while. Perhaps, like me, you lived in this era and felt that you had the best music, the best cars and the best women of history. Goodnight.
P.S. John Lloyd Young as Frankie Valli.
Erich Bergen as Bob Gaudio.
Michael Lomenda as Nick Massi.
Vincent Piazza as Tommy DeVito
Christopher Walken does a super job as Gyp DeCarlo.
   From the author's green retreat, I'm CE Wills.
P.S.S. The Four Seasons had a remarkable 29 hit songs in the Top Forty. That, my friend, is a short list of people who have accomplished such a feat.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol

Men In Black 3, Just Empty Black Suits?

    Hey, everyone, out there in the world! Nice of you to stop by. Today I downloaded Men In Black 3 for I-Pad. There were a number of positive reviews on the app store, but there were several reviews that complained about the game failing to open. This was my experience. It opened to the screen shown above and froze there. At least it was free. I have an I-Pad 3, so maybe you will have better luck with yours.     EA games is having a big sale for the holiday weekend. I already have most of the titles which are on sale, however. I did buy several games this weekend, though, and I'd like to tell you about them.    Get Out of My Galaxy is a Mario type of space game in which you control a monster with 4 arms. The dude eats rocks and has a penchant for slapping little cone-headed aliens. There are a certain number of aliens to slap on every planet, then you move on to the next world. There are power-ups to grab as you go along, for health and other things. There is prickly vegetatio