Skip to main content

Ladies Looking For Southern Hospitality

    Many years ago, I was in New Jersey. I was due to report for a contract engineering job the next morning and was spending the night at a cheap motel.
    At two o'clock in the morning someone started pounding on my door, waking me from a sound sleep. A cautious man, I answered the door with my pistol against my right leg. There were two drunk ladies standing there.
    They looked at me and noticed the gun, I'm sure.They both were smiling and in a good mood. One of them spoke up.
    "Hi. Is John here?"
    "No one here by that name."
    She waved a hand toward a bar which lay just across the parking lot behind her.
    "We met a guy at the bar who invited us to his room; Room 22." She pointed to the number on the door. "See, Room 22?"
    Her logic was unassailable, I'm sure, to her. To me, it merely meant a delay in getting back to sleep.
     Her friend said, "Hey, honey, maybe you want to party?"
    "No, thanks. Y'all have a nice night. Hope you find your friend." I gently closed the door and went back to bed. I had no trouble going back to sleep. The next day I reported to the new job. One of the permanent guys I went to work for was very interested when I told him about the two visitors of the previous night. He was from New York City, very tough and street-wise, a very good dude. He told me what had probably happened.
    "First possibility is, some guy they met just wanted to get rid of them and gave them a room number off the top of his head. The second and more likely scenario is this. It's common for a little gang of crooks to target strangers in any town. They have a motel clerk that keeps an eye out for someone that has money; cash, that is. The clerk tells a friend. The friend has a chick, or sometimes two(for comfort's sake) go to the guy's room and try any means to get inside. Once inside, they let the muscle guy in, who either robs the stranger or pretends to be a cop from vice, whatever. The bottom line is, you get robbed."
    It seems that things tend to gravitate to me. Things seem to happen when I'm around. Some good, some bad. Of course, these days it's very dangerous to travel with a gun. Most of the northeast has mandatory prison time for being caught with an unregistered gun. Of course, you can't register a gun in ten different states before you leave home, so your right to protect your own life or your family's is effectively taken away. Then we as a nation wonder why large sections of cities and towns are unsafe to walk the streets in. Can't hinder the criminals from preying upon the straight people, now can we?
    Here at my place in the green retreat we faced a mountain lion with an aggressive personality. Of course I know now, just like I knew that night in New Jersey, that all predators don't growl and have fangs and claws. Some are pretty and friendly, with long hair and mini-skirts. I guess that virtue is sometimes its own reward.
    From the mountains, I'm CE Wills

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol

Men In Black 3, Just Empty Black Suits?

    Hey, everyone, out there in the world! Nice of you to stop by. Today I downloaded Men In Black 3 for I-Pad. There were a number of positive reviews on the app store, but there were several reviews that complained about the game failing to open. This was my experience. It opened to the screen shown above and froze there. At least it was free. I have an I-Pad 3, so maybe you will have better luck with yours.     EA games is having a big sale for the holiday weekend. I already have most of the titles which are on sale, however. I did buy several games this weekend, though, and I'd like to tell you about them.    Get Out of My Galaxy is a Mario type of space game in which you control a monster with 4 arms. The dude eats rocks and has a penchant for slapping little cone-headed aliens. There are a certain number of aliens to slap on every planet, then you move on to the next world. There are power-ups to grab as you go along, for health and other things. There is prickly vegetatio