Skip to main content

The Late, Great, George C. Scott

    Last night I watched a DVD of Patton, starring the terrific actor, Mr. George C. Scott. The movie, if you've somehow missed it, is a classic and a definite 4 stars out of 4. (Funny, considering it is about a General) It details the career of the famous American General. This post, however, is about the actor and not the movie.
    As I watched Patton, I was again struck by what a privilege to watch an actor at the top of his game. It was a role that seemed written for him and he personified Patton to such an extent that the two are almost inseparable in conversation. He earned an Oscar for his performance, his second. He refused both, according to Wikipedia. Much of the information I share in this post is due to what I have read there. It's a terrific site as everyone knows, but I stray from my subject.
     My favorite thing about George was the fact that he aspired to be a writer. That's not quite fair. He was a writer, having written several short stories. He could never quite get the novelist thing down pat, however, and at length gave it up. The world is the richer for his career change.
    I noticed as I read his background that he served as a Marine and actually was a guard at Arlington National Cemetery, an occupation that he said turned him into a drinker. It chills me to think of the young man as he guarded that place of honor and then, years later delivered that savage scene as Patton slapping the soldier who had failed in his duty. "I won't have him stinking up this place of honor!" My Lord, possibly the most powerful moment in film history and now I know where the passion came from, those lonely nights with the heroes of Arlington.
    As a personal matter, my favorite movie with George is still Day Of The Dolphin, a terrific sci-fi flick. I've mentioned it before on these pages, but it's worth repeating. Evil men want to use Scott's beloved dolphins to bomb a ship. It's a tear-jerker as well as a fine piece of acting. Don't allow yourself to miss this classic. If you cry a bit at the end, let me know. It would help me feel better about myself.
     From the author's green retreat, I'm CE Wills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is hi...

Dr. Simon's Exoskeleton (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. Nice to be back with you after a tough, hectic week. We have had some snow, sleet, fog, drizzle, torrential rain and flooding this week.      I'd like to talk, yet again, about Shadowgun , the shooter game for I-Padster. I was much further along than what I thought when I posted about some of the battles yet to be faced for those of you who had just killed the Driller. The fact is that I am on the last level. This level has Dr. Simon, the resident evil nutcase, inhabiting a monstrous, powerful robot. His brain resides in a bubble on top, much like a cherry on a hot fudge Sunday. (Yes, I am still on my eating binge) It is a tremendous fight because you not only have to kill this huge semi-person, but there are a bunch of mutant guards, flying drones etc. to deal with at the same time. I had played the darn level about thirty times and decided to check out someone else's battle. So I went to You-Tube and typed in, Dr. Simon Exoskelet...

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As...