Skip to main content

White Water

    Hey, everyone. Up until a few(?) years ago, when my thrill seeking nature began to evolve into a personality that hungered for ease and comfort, I liked to ride the white water. I liked to use a rubber raft and ride the rapids. The bigger and more violent, the better. I remember one time when we were rafting a particular large creek in the mountains. The water was down just enough so that some sharp rocks were more exposed than usual. We ripped the bottoms out of all three of our rafts and had to hike out of a remote area. It took all day and a good part of the night to get back to our vehicles and we were a sorry-looking group when we came dragging into camp. One guy missed 3 days of work due to exposure and dehydration, sunburn and other neat stuff. The dude cussed me the next time I called him to go rafting. The only way out that we were sure of was along the creek. Up and down over boulders, in and out of the water, snakes and bugs, were not his cup of tea. He had came for the camaraderie and the beer drinking. We are not friends any more.
    Several years later we made a trip to the Ocoee River in the mountains of Tennessee. This is in an area close to Ducktown, up around the North Carolina line. White water enthusiasts will remember that when Atlanta held the Olympic Games a few years ago( Gosh, more than a few) the white water events were held on this same river. It's a pretty cool ride. There have been a few deaths on this river and it is no place to regard lightly. On this occasion I took my kids with me.
    The river flows through a rocky, mountainous region and has been the source of contention between TVA and rafters. After a suit, TVA opens up the floodgates at certain times of day so the kayak people can get their kicks. It's quite a drive from where I live but you can still do it in a long day.
    The trip when I took my kids started inauspiciously. The river was in flood because of massive rains during the previous few days. The river guides I talked to said that it was the highest and swiftest they had ever seen the river. We had to sign a waiver that we were rafting at our risk and we were fully aware of the danger.
    Less than a minute into our trip I was thrown from the raft and was swept rather forcefully onto a large rock. Conveniently, I was pinned there by the force of the hydraulics. Skinned and with a deflated ego, I crawled out of the icy water and assayed to finish the trip. We did finish the trip, on a cold, cloudy day with very swift water. It was fun but strewn with problems and I was glad to see it end. In retrospect, I think this day was the last day of my thrill-seeking hobbies. Not that I hadn't been in lots of worse situations, I just decided that my recliner gave me a better ride. I gradually quit back-packing and most other strenuous activities in favor of old guy stuff.
    I find it amusing that there was no conscious decision on my part to become more sedentary. It just happened. Difficulties that had previously been fun were now just a pain in the butt.
     A friend (?) told me that my testosterone levels just became low. My wife said that I just grew up. I suspect that I just became old.
    From the recliner adventurer, I'm CE Wills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is his AI, but Cybe