Skip to main content

Book Review: The Wish List by John Locke

    Hey, everyone. I had the pleasure of reading a really different and entertaining book this week. It is by John Locke, one of the handful of people who has sold over a million ebooks. The Wish List is another in the popular series about Donovan Creed. Donovan is a paid assassin, a retired CIA guy, former mob hit man. He has confused morals and certainly has some good points as well.
 For one, he is loyal to a fault. A former friend, now deceased, has a loser brother who has gotten himself into trouble. Donovan goes to his aid. The dude's name is Buddy Pancake; yeah, Pancake. His wife Lissie is great, he is a loser. A friend tells him to go to a website and fill out a form to receive 4 wishes. He wants a date with a certain movie star, a million bucks, his boss dead and tickets to a Bruce Springsteen concert. See what I mean about being a loser? I mean really, couldn't he think of something better?
    Up to this point, the story is not so unusual. Now Mr. Locke flexes his muscle. The dreams start coming true for Buddy. Finally things are going his way. His long-suffering wife is ecstatic. He lands a big account at his job, a plane comes and flies him to an assignation with a movie star. (Wife doesn't know about that. She would not have been ecstatic.) After their time together, the starlet gives him a million dollars. A limo takes Buddy and his wife to their front row seats for Springsteen. So far, not so bad. But then...
     The guy that is guiding him through his wishes punctures Buddy's balloon. He tells him that he has to pay back, to the wish granters, 4 favors. The first favor being the surprise task of burying his boss's dead body. Yes, the very guy that Buddy had requested to die a horrible death.
     Things get more and more twisted and depraved. Frankly, some of the surprises were disturbing. I grew up hard and have been a street kid, a drifter and a loser in my own right. I have been domesticated for so long now that I have forgotten just how bad people can be. Buddy Pancake hit the jackpot for becoming acquainted with the lowest scum on the face of the earth. This book, imaginary as it is, reminded me that there are many people that one just doesn't want anything to do with. It brought back memories of bad people I've encountered in my life.
    All that being said, this is a terrific book and soooo worthy of a paltry 99 cents. It is available at Amazon, I-Books and all the usual suspects for your e-reader or I-Pad. Don't miss this different and disturbing thriller. There are some surprises at the end that will have you shaking your head, believe me. Adios, from the author's green retreat.
    I'm CE Wills.
P.S. Check back later this weekend for The Shadowgun Manifesto.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is hi...

Dr. Simon's Exoskeleton (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. Nice to be back with you after a tough, hectic week. We have had some snow, sleet, fog, drizzle, torrential rain and flooding this week.      I'd like to talk, yet again, about Shadowgun , the shooter game for I-Padster. I was much further along than what I thought when I posted about some of the battles yet to be faced for those of you who had just killed the Driller. The fact is that I am on the last level. This level has Dr. Simon, the resident evil nutcase, inhabiting a monstrous, powerful robot. His brain resides in a bubble on top, much like a cherry on a hot fudge Sunday. (Yes, I am still on my eating binge) It is a tremendous fight because you not only have to kill this huge semi-person, but there are a bunch of mutant guards, flying drones etc. to deal with at the same time. I had played the darn level about thirty times and decided to check out someone else's battle. So I went to You-Tube and typed in, Dr. Simon Exoskelet...

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As...