Skip to main content

Standing Bear

    Hey, everyone. I forgot to mention something earlier,due to my rant. The other day I was outside and happened to look at the side of the house, next to one of the doors. There was a rather large bear track on the wall about five feet high. He had evidently stepped in dirt and then had stood on his hind legs, leaning against the wall. The print was pretty well defined, though light. I took several pictures but none of them showed the print really well.
    I measured the print. From toe to heel it was 8 inches. Across the widest part it was 5 inches. It was 5 feet off the ground, which means he was probably around 6 or 6.5 feet 'tall'. So, good size, but not huge. I have seen a small black bear in our woods several years ago. He ran away when he saw me. Since then I have seen many tracks and various signs of his presence. This is the first time any bear has leaned on the house, next to my door, as far as I know. It was, of course, the merest chance that he had stepped in dirt before he leaned on the wall. If he had not, the odds are excellent that I would never have known of his proximity.
    This place makes you think. I have learned so much about tracking and animals and indeed, about trees, since we've been here. Am I concerned about the furry dude coming around at night? No, not really. Am I crazy about the fact that he may be investigating the doors? No. It may be that Carley had cooked something appetizing that evening and he came to pull a 'Yogi Bear' and steal some chow. I will say this: It makes me think about sleeping with the windows open.
    Hey, let me tell you newcomers a story. As you may know, my wife and I had a confrontation with a mountain lion. We drove him away and I tell the story in my free ebook, Scary Beast. But when I mentioned sleeping with our windows open I remembered a story  about a couple in Colorado. They had a big dog that weighed 80 pounds. The couple and their dog were taking a daytime nap. They had their screen door locked and the big dog was sleeping at the foot of their bed. A mountain lion came in the house without waking them, killed the dog and left with the dog being carried in its mouth. The guy woke up and ran out just as the mountain lion was jumping the fence with the dog in its mouth. He shot at it and the lion dropped the dog's carcass. Is that wild?
   If you have time, check out the label at the bottom of this post. There should be a label for animal posts I've done and also posts about mountain lions. I had one young lion stalk me and saw others several times. It's always interesting, here at the green retreat. I'm just trying to picture a bear, leaning on the wall and checking out the door. Goodnight to all of you and to the nocturnal bear who needs to wash his paws.
    From the author's green retreat, I'm CE Wills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is hi...

Dr. Simon's Exoskeleton (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. Nice to be back with you after a tough, hectic week. We have had some snow, sleet, fog, drizzle, torrential rain and flooding this week.      I'd like to talk, yet again, about Shadowgun , the shooter game for I-Padster. I was much further along than what I thought when I posted about some of the battles yet to be faced for those of you who had just killed the Driller. The fact is that I am on the last level. This level has Dr. Simon, the resident evil nutcase, inhabiting a monstrous, powerful robot. His brain resides in a bubble on top, much like a cherry on a hot fudge Sunday. (Yes, I am still on my eating binge) It is a tremendous fight because you not only have to kill this huge semi-person, but there are a bunch of mutant guards, flying drones etc. to deal with at the same time. I had played the darn level about thirty times and decided to check out someone else's battle. So I went to You-Tube and typed in, Dr. Simon Exoskelet...

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As...