Skip to main content

Book Review: Assignment: Kowloon Hotel

   Hey, everyone. I am still learning to use Blogger's new system so bear with me on any glitches to the blog.
   I recently downloaded a free book from Amazon by a guy named R.S. Nolte. As you might suspect from the title of the post, the book is Assignment: Kowloon Hotel. It is normally $4.95 for the ebook. I got it during a promotion which I noticed on my I-Pad app called Flipboard. Let me mention that Flipboard is an excellent news feeder for I-Pad. One of the things I selected for a feed was a source called Kindle Free Books. Being an egomaniac, I also have my own blog on there. This is convenient if I have to check something from a past post. But, back to the book.
     I have never read one of Mr. Nolte's novels before, but I think I have found a new writer. This guy doesn't waste a lot of motion but has a fast-paced, action based style which is similar to my own. I would rate the book a 4 star out of 5.
    The hero is a guy named Jack Tangiers. Jack appears in a whole series of books, by the way. Jack is a Denver cop. He comes home one rainy night to find a lovely oriental woman sitting on his front steps. She has been referred to him by a man in Hong Kong who Jack has never heard of, which is interesting to say the least. She is in fear for her life and wants Jack to protect her. The lady, named d'Asia, stays the night with Jack, and there is an attempt on her life. Jack awakes to see d'Asia fighting another woman. The intruder is killed and d'Asia disappears. In a monumental lack of judgement, Jack does not report the death, but transports the body to a vacant lot.
      Concerned for the girl, his own career and his life, Jack tries to unravel the mystery. The trail takes him to Hong Kong, where he pokes his nose into the raw night-life of that teeming city. In another thread to the story which converges with the main theme, a young woman delves into the mystery surrounding the death of her father in Paris. Her trail also leads to Hong Kong and the theft of some very rare paintings. Will all the convoluted threads tie into a neat knot at the end? To see, you'll have to read the book.
    From the author's green retreat, I'm CE Wills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is hi...

Dr. Simon's Exoskeleton (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. Nice to be back with you after a tough, hectic week. We have had some snow, sleet, fog, drizzle, torrential rain and flooding this week.      I'd like to talk, yet again, about Shadowgun , the shooter game for I-Padster. I was much further along than what I thought when I posted about some of the battles yet to be faced for those of you who had just killed the Driller. The fact is that I am on the last level. This level has Dr. Simon, the resident evil nutcase, inhabiting a monstrous, powerful robot. His brain resides in a bubble on top, much like a cherry on a hot fudge Sunday. (Yes, I am still on my eating binge) It is a tremendous fight because you not only have to kill this huge semi-person, but there are a bunch of mutant guards, flying drones etc. to deal with at the same time. I had played the darn level about thirty times and decided to check out someone else's battle. So I went to You-Tube and typed in, Dr. Simon Exoskelet...

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As...