Skip to main content

Fair(?)Way Solitaire (Update)

   Hey, everyone. I have several things to talk about today.
1) Carley has (had) a game she really liked called Fairway Solitaire. It is a card game with a golf theme and I liked it myself, though it is very strange for me to like a card game. She was really advanced in this game, had lots of trophies and 'Golf Bucks' and played it every day to get the bonuses. Well, she did an update and lost all her awards, game money and the game itself is crashed and irretrievable, I guess. Does anything make a gamer more irate? Nooooooo. Then, instead of restoring the existing game, Big Fish Games comes out with the new Fairway Solitaire for $2.99. This begs the question, "Was the update just a ploy to get rid of everyone's existing game in order to sell them the new game?" I'm a suspicious bloke, I guess. The new game came out the day before the update. 'Nuff said.
2) Sad morning in Minnesota. As a hard-core football fan, I feel for the Vikings. They didn't stand a chance once their quarterback went down. I don't want to pile on Webb, the back-up QB, but Green Bay got their first round bye after all. I had to just turn it off. Bummer. Just goes to show you, no matter how good a running back you have, if you can't throw, you will lose the game. No first downs, defense tires, bad things happen.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. At any given time on planet Earth, there are about ten or twelve quarterbacks who are good enough to get a team to the Super Bowl and win it. If you have one, keep him no matter what. If you don't have one, get one or build the best defense the world has ever seen.
3) Last night I watched the movie/documentary called With Great Power, the Stan Lee Story. I enjoyed it, though it was a bit slow. It is the story of the dynamic writer who created such favorite comics as Spiderman, Fantastic Four, The Avengers and Thor. Around 90 years old, this guy is a joy to watch or listen to. Seems like a good guy, too. He and and his lovely wife have been married for 60 years. That's more impressive than all his writing accolades.
     In the film, it talked about Stan's penchant for staying current and for speaking against social injustice. He spoke against bigotry and corruption. He would speak at colleges and during the question/answer sessions he would learn how to make his comics relevant. Parents might be surprised just how many good things can come from comics, as well as many bad things. I have read some of the modern comics that are pretty graphic on subjects that small kids shouldn't read about. Thank goodness, my child-rearing days are over. But I digress.
     I remember that when I was around 10 or 12, I started reading Edgar Rice Burroughs books. You know, Tarzan, Pellucidar etc? Many of the values that I held in my young life were what I learned from those pages. Wish I was still like that. So, people who write comics have a great tool for being a positive influence.
    It was cool to hear Stan talk about what a thrill it was to see his creations on the big screen. To walk into a theater and see Spidey, Hulk and the Fantastic Four make comics main-stream instead of the fringe entertainment that comics and the pulps were considered back in the day.
    One of Stan's keys to success was giving his heroes real lives and real life problems. What I mean is, they had bills to pay, girlfriend troubles. They had to work for a living and stuff like that. It certainly made his fortune.
    Get this. When Stan joined the Army for WW2, he was assigned to be a "playwrite". There were 9 of them in the whole army. Frank Capra was one of them and Dr. Seuss was another. Unbelievable to have three huge talents in a group of nine.
     Also, Stan got his start by going to work at a place as a flunky. He filled ink wells, ran errands. Then they let him write some stories because they needed filler. They had to have so many pages to qualify for "Second Class Postage" so they let the kid write about Captain America. Sometimes I stand in awe of fate and the luck that brings talented people to the forefront. How many Stan Lees are out there that never got a break? Plenty, I'll bet.
4) My guess is that Baltimore will beat Indy and that the Seattle Seahawks will send the Redskins packing today. I don't have a dog in these fights (I don't care who wins). I just thought I'd throw out a guess or two, like the talking heads on T.V.
    From the author's green retreat, I'm CE Wills.
P.S. The picture above is my Rainbow Pig. One of my posts was about him, complete with video, several years ago. He thinks he is a rock star.
    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is his AI, but Cybe