Skip to main content

Bulletproof Heart

     Hey, everyone. Alas, poor weekend, I knew it well. Yes, it is almost Monday, but let's think about entertainment. Like a movie, for instance. Tonight I watched a good film on T.V. called Bulletproof Heart. Wow, what an odd, different, weird show. Here's the recipe.
     It is about a troubled Hit-man named Mick. He lives in New York and has a steady employer named George. (Played by Peter Boyle.) Mick (Anthony LaPaglia) is disillusioned about life and death. He no longer sees that life and death make much difference. It doesn't matter if one person, more or less, will be gone. He is a sort of controlled melt-down of a person. Then, when he is on the verge of losing it, his life changes. George, his boss, comes to him with an emergency hit. It has to be done before dawn.
    It seems that a lady named Fiona  (Mimi Rogers) owes some heavy hitters over $500,000. That is not the worst of her transgressions, however. She knows a lot of dirt on a lot of guys. What sort of dirt? Well, this is a 'G' rated blog. Yeah, it is like that. Fiona threatens to expose everything about these powerful men unless she gets her way.
    So, you say, what does she want? She wants someone to kill her. Your next question would be the same as Mick's. Why does she want to die? Now we are getting down to brass tacks. Fiona is a wreck. Seemingly self controlled and together, as well as attractive, she hears voices in her head that torment her. At times she even goes psycho and then blacks out. She is under treatment by a rather pathetic shrink. She merely wants to be released from her burdens and welcomes Mick into her home with open arms.
    Mick is messed up about life, himself. He is at first intrigued by his 'mark', then sympathetic, then falls in love with her. He offers to pay her debt. He finds out that he himself will take the big dirt nap if he fails to deliver on the 'contract'. Will he have the grit to finish a tough job? Will his fruitcake 'assistant' have to redeem himself by making the hit? (The assistant, named Archie, is a cool side-note to this film and is well-played by Matt Craven.)
    When the woman wants a pic-nic in a graveyard at 3 A.M. as a last request, Archie is scared to death. Even the steely Mick freaks when he finds Fiona in a tomb, talking to her voices and weeping.
    Oh, yeah, it is weird. But it is a 4.5 stars out of 5. Superbly acted and directed, with gripping scenes. Watch it some stormy night, with someone you trust. Ha, ha.
     After my Falcons lost today, I could use a bulletproof heart, myself. I will persevere, and survive, and hopefully flourish, here at the author's green retreat.
   I'm CE Wills.
P.S. I watched this film on EPIX. It appears that its original title was Killer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is his AI, but Cybe