Skip to main content

I Don't Know Much

    Hey, everyone. One of my favorite songs is by Linda Ronstadt and Aaron Neville. It is titled I Don't Know Much and it features some of the best vocals anywhere. The song is so lovely that it will move you to tears sometimes. I can play it pretty well on my keyboard and Carley and I like to sing along. We do a nice job, for old fogies.
      As I was listening to it today, I thought about the words. As I get older it seems I know less. Sometimes the things we formerly believed seem farther away somehow. Much of our arrogance disappears after life kicks the crap out of our egos.
   The song goes like this.
Look at this face,
I know the years are showing
Look at this life, I still don't know where it's going
I don't know much,
But I know I love you
And that may be all I need to know.
    Sometimes we are so busy that we don't take stock of the important things in life. What really matters. Sure, we know some of the answers and can quote them when needed but do we live them? Maybe.
Look at these eyes
They never see what matters
Look at these dreams
So beaten and so battered
      Yes, the dreams take a beating. I'd be embarrassed to tell you all the dreams I had, that have fell by the wayside. Most of them I'd care little about today, if I thought about them at all. Really, young dreams are usually sort of shallow. Wealth, fame, dating a rock star, a mansion, travel, power, high office, awards, glory, recognition. While certainly cool, they can be a two edged sword.
     For instance, lets talk about possessions. It has occurred to me that they sort of possess us, rather than the other way around. I had a boat or two, back in the day. They were a constant source of expense and work. They were a pain to hook up, haul to the lake, put in the water, use, take out of the water, haul home etc. At one time, I had two houses. Good Lord, what a massive pain in the butt that was.
     If you're lucky enough to find a good woman or guy, and by the grace of God they care for you, it is a huge step on the road of life. More so than a career with all its trimmings. If you have one or two really good friends that will stick to you, you have found treasure that Fort Knox couldn't hold.
     If you have children that are not astray, in jail, on drugs or some such horror, you have had good fortune that shames winning the Lottery. If you can lay down at night next to a sweet lady and have enough peace to sleep, if you can lay aside grudges and hate and be at peace, you are defecating in high cotton. If you can say in your heart, on your death bed, that you wish ill fortune to no human, you are treading on a nice path.
      When I was in some serious training, I could draw, from memory, every system in a nuclear plant. Every valve, every temperature well, every instrument in that system, and explain to a board of three engineers how they worked. Most of that knowledge has vanished now. It was ephemeral, like the morning mist. Professionally and in many other ways, I consider myself the biggest sort of failure. In truth, I don't know much, but I know my kids and grand kids are really fine, I know I couldn't find a better wife or mother for those kids. I really am pretty good at forgiving people, though I am still working on that. Regrets, too many to mention, yet most of them are more about being mean to people than about "Wow, I lost a lot of money by not doing that differently".
    It is typical, when you get older, to reflect on your life a bit and few of us are very proud of it. The song, My Way is a great song but I suspect that few of us are that arrogant about our life. I am not. Yes, I don't know much, but that in itself is a lot to know.
From the author's green retreat, I'm CE Wills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is his AI, but Cybe