Skip to main content

The Update Problem and the Bully

    Hey, everyone. There is a new front in the war between consumers and marketers. Developers on IOS are now putting out updates which contain ads for other games. Sometimes there are updates for games which you have bought and the update sneaks in a few ads for non-game stuff, like insurance. This will soon have people leery of downloading updates. I hate to retype my earlier posts on disreputable practices in the app store, such as Apple Plays Violin While App Store Burns. So I will not state any particular games which are involved in this, but will hope that Apple will continue to deal with the evolution of the young environment of IOS gaming. I noticed that they are currently dealing with a problem which I had mentioned; that of games which inserted a line of code which changed your settings to allow the developers to open the 'notifications' window in a consumer's device. Hats off to Apple for these actions.
     On a more pleasant note, lets talk about playing games, rather than unscrupulous activities. I had been stuck on my new favorite, a game called Mass Effect Infiltrator. It was on level 6 and the 'bully on the block', which the young folks often call a 'boss battle' was a monster of peculiar characteristics. (Of course, monsters, by definition, are peculiar.) This monster was huge, standing 20 feet tall. He had a lizard sort of look about him and it made one wonder about his lineage. He wore armor with power nodes all over it from which he could shoot lasers and missiles. How nice for him. This ultimate lizard also had a penchant for casually flipping mines at me. These silver -colored cylinders resembled hockey pucks and blew my sheltering walls to smithereens, thus killing me on numerous occasions. I should be ashamed to say it, but I had already failed to conquer the brute about 40 to 50 times. But just when the Lizard was turning to go back to the lizard bar and grill, surely to brag about kicking my behindus yet again...
    May I have a little bit of western music, maestro? It was at this moment that I looked up and saw a lanky young rider approaching the green retreat. Both he and his horse were dust-covered from a long journey. It was Trevor, my gaming pard and a gunman to be reckoned with on the dusty streets of boss battles. When Trevor swung down from his horse I saw a tremor run through the monster's frame. He knew there was a new sheriff in town!
    I explained the situation to Trevor and showed him the controls of Mass Effect Infiltrator. Then I went off to mingle with my other guests. Within 20 or 30 minutes, he wandered up and handed me the I-Pad.
"Here you go," he said, "He wasn't too tough. I must admit that he freaked me out when he started smashing through walls, though."
    Now I can play the final three levels of this fun game. Alas, poor lizard, may he rest in pieces!
     I was talking to a couple of guys later in the day about gaming and they told me that they had played the X-Box game for Mass Effect. From what they said, the IOS version holds true to the style of the console version. I was intrigued by the alternate paths for mercy/harshness which a player can choose with his prisoners. My friends indicated that these choices did indeed have an impact on your outcome, later in the game. I look forward to that, even though I have alternated between the two paths, in typical bi-polar fashion.( I jest. I am not bi-polar, nor am I bi-anything.)
    If I seem to be rambling a bit, bear with me. I have a lot on my mind. I am writing Notch 7, my latest western. I am renovating a house. I am working a full time job and doing typical husband stuff just like y'all do. And, oh yeah, I am writing a blog.
     Mowing has been a bit dusty, with tons of pollen in the air. This area has loads of Bradford Pear trees, which are lovely, full of white blossoms. The blossoms smell pretty funky, which is designed to repel insects, I suppose. The trees just seem to have a perfect shape to them, without being tended. Several years ago, they became a fad in the South and everybody was planting them. They will coat your porch in yellow dust within a matter of a couple of days, believe me.
     Allow me to play the butterfly of blogging and jump to another subject. I wanted to mention a couple of free games I have been playing. Like most gamers, when I am being subjugated by a vicious monster like the Lizard, I fall back on a puzzle game or more simple fare. Star Sweeper is a game in the tradition of Asteroids. The player maneuvers a spaceship and shoots his way through an asteroid field. To be fair, I haven't played it enough to reccommend it yet, but you can make your own assessment. I am also playing a game called StarFight HD. It reminds me of arcade games from the era that my kids were small; lets call it the 1980's. You are flying a space craft and fighting off a zillion attackers who try to box you into a corner of the screen.
    Whether you like golf or loathe it, try an app called The Masters. It will give you a virtual tour of one of the most beautiful spots on this weathered planet, Augusta National. There are videos, an assortment of features and the app will give you live updates of the action when the tournament starts. I really like it.
    If you have young children about and want a game with superb graphics, Cordy Sky is available for free. I have it but haven't played it yet, as I have been busy. I have played it's predecessor, which has eye-popping visuals.
    "Bullett Hell" is a term which the young folks use to describe a certain genre of game. I say this because I know that I have a lot of people who are new to gaming, who are reading the blog since they bought their new Padster. Bullett hell games are those in which there are so many things happening, bulletts spraying, brilliant colors, flashing lights etc, that you are almost overpowered. Normally, I don't like these sort of games but I have a new one that is pretty cool. They call it A.I. Buster, which is a pretty cool name. (Artificial Intelligence, get it?) Anyway, I got it for free and you play a hardened soldier who is faced with enemies, missiles, bulletts and a variety of hardships which fly around you like swarms of bees. I suspect that you might act weird if you played it for long intervals, but I like it.
    I believe that my mild case of insomnia is winding down. I can hear my wife puttering about in the kitchen and intend to sweet-talk her into some bacon, eggs and toast. I have a new jar of home-made apple butter to put on the toast. For those of you who are not familiar with apple butter, lets talk about that. I am not an authority on the subject, but it is similar to jelly and jam but with more of a spicey taste and less sweetness. Really sweet things are not my favorites.
   I hope you have a pleasant day. If you don't, please don't blame me. From the author's green retreat, I'm CE Wills.    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is his AI, but Cybe