Skip to main content

The Double

    Good evening. It is cooler tonight, about 62 degrees at ten P.M. I had a nice day and so far a very pleasant evening. Carley and I just watched a very good movie called The Double. It stars Richard Gere as a retired CIA agent named Paul Shepherdson and Topher Grace as an FBI agent named Ben Geary. Martin Sheen stars as Paul's former boss, Tom Highland.
     Ben Geary is young, bright and naive. Most of his knowledge is based on the classes he had at Harvard. He got into the FBI because he wrote an exceptional thesis about a legendary assassin, code-named Cassius. He is convinced that Cassius is still alive, though Paul (Gere) claims to have killed the hit man many years ago.
     Paul is called out of retirement to assist the youngster on the case because he knows more about the guy than anyone. This is certainly true because we learn, early on, that Paul is actually Cassius. He assists Ben for a while and feels sorry for the poor bonehead, so he doesn't kill him. Actually, he likes the kid's family, a wife and two little ones. He doesn't want to make the children fatherless.
    So, Paul endeavors to keep Ben off his trail and tries to keep him alive at the same time. He could have killed the rascal in a hundred different ways but holds back.
      Paul, in his alter ego of Cassius, has a special watch he likes to use. It has a knob which is used to wind the watch but if you pull the knob out, there is a length of steel cable admirably suited for a Garote. He can and does take down one target on a busy street, stealing his bag and cutting his throat from ear to ear in a split second; then strolling away nonchalantly with the bag.
     Ben begins to get odd feelings about his new partner. (Not in a romantic way.) He suspects that Paul is the legendary killer. Paul just wants to be off the grid, out of action and to live in his quiet house on a quiet street. Since he has neither wife nor children, on lonely evenings he watches youth baseball games in which he has no child playing. The softer side of life has no place in the career of a spy or assassin. In fact, in that glamorized yet ugly world of espionage, all the good things in life are held at arms length in order to fully embrace the harshness. Goodness is weakness, kindness is a luxury thrown away the day you lose your conscious.
   I must refrain from going very far into this movie, lest I ruin it for you. Why it never was a hit, I don't know. I found it to be excellent. True, I love spy stories and have written several myself, but I love to watch them and I think this one is good enough to entertain anyone. Seldom will I look up who wrote a screenplay or story but I did this one. I think it was excellent. It was written by the director, Michael Brandt, and also by Derek Haas.
    Check it out, if you wish. From the author's green retreat, I'm CE Wills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dr. Simon's Exoskeleton (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. Nice to be back with you after a tough, hectic week. We have had some snow, sleet, fog, drizzle, torrential rain and flooding this week.      I'd like to talk, yet again, about Shadowgun , the shooter game for I-Padster. I was much further along than what I thought when I posted about some of the battles yet to be faced for those of you who had just killed the Driller. The fact is that I am on the last level. This level has Dr. Simon, the resident evil nutcase, inhabiting a monstrous, powerful robot. His brain resides in a bubble on top, much like a cherry on a hot fudge Sunday. (Yes, I am still on my eating binge) It is a tremendous fight because you not only have to kill this huge semi-person, but there are a bunch of mutant guards, flying drones etc. to deal with at the same time. I had played the darn level about thirty times and decided to check out someone else's battle. So I went to You-Tube and typed in, Dr. Simon Exoskelet...

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is hi...

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As...