Skip to main content

The Symptom: Blue Dots On My Apps

     Hey, everyone, out there in radio ... internet land. It is a beautiful fall morning here in the mountains. It is 55 degrees and there is a tiny bit of ground fog in low-lying areas. The mountains are not changing color, much. The dogwoods are crimson, though. The poplars are turning yellow and shedding their clothing like really tall, meticulous strippers. Ha, ha.
     I notice things. Like this morning, I noticed that some of my apps on the Padster had a blue dot underneath their little square bodies. Upon careful investigation, I discovered that the apps in question had been updated but had yet to be opened. Fascinating, really. I know how y'all like to keep abreast of these things.
     Last night, Carley and I re-watched the movie designated by the title The Edge. I have seen it at least a dozen times and I love it. If there ever was a 5 star show, this is it. It stars Alec Baldwin in a role that should have won him an Oscar and Anthony Hopkins as a billionaire. Mr. Hopkins should have shared the above-mentioned award.
     In a brief aside, I remember seeing a documentary on the life of one of the great action heroes of the 1940's and 1950's. Several of the guy's friends talked about how he regretted not being able to be a 'real' actor. It seems that, back in the day, folks thought that action flicks were not really art or whatever. It irritates me a bit. This wonderful actor brought so much enjoyment to so many and was made to feel like a hacker. But back to my subject.
     Anthony Hopkins plays Charles Morse, a rich guy with a much younger wife named Mickey Morse. Mickey is played by Elle MacPherson. Mickey does modeling for a roguish guy called Bob Green. (Baldwin). The two are having a clandestine affair and Charles has his suspicions about the two. Charles decides to leave his financial empire behind for a few days and go on a photo shoot with Bob, Mickey and their crew to a remote section of Alaska.
    Charles is always pouring over a book about survival in the wilderness. This info stands him in good stead when he gets on a plane with Bob to travel to a lake cabin for photos of an Indian. When the plane has a severe bird strike and crashes into a lake, the poop has hit the fan. Bob, Charles and Stephen (Harold Perrineau) survive the crash but have worse problems than blue dots on their apps. They are stranded in the wilds. It is cold, they have no radio and are far from where they were supposed to be. This was made before the era of cell phones, by the way.
     They do have about a dozen matches, a pocket knife and a few cheroots. (Cigars). For some reason, the beast of the board room, the billionaire, shines in the woods. The three men complement each other and save each other many times. Unfortunately they lose Stephen early on and the two friendly enemies are left alone, thrown into dependence on one another. Then there is the bear problem. It is a monster, a Kodiak. A bear that has acquired a taste for human flesh, and he is delighted to welcome the men into his parlor. He hopes to give them the scenic tour of his bowels, from the inside.
     The cinematography involved in filming the bear-related scenes (Not his bowels, thank goodness) is some of the best movie work I have ever seen. The direction and production of this film is magical. The musical score is likewise top shelf. Some of the one-liners of the movie have been assimilated into our slang and culture. " Am I supposed to have a plan?" Do I look like I have a plan?"
     At the author's green retreat, I have seen a bear in the wild. I had one that sniffed around the house at night and left his paw prints on my door. But that bear would not have been even half the size of the monster in this film. Soon it becomes apparent to Bob and Charles that their survival is dependent on their ability to kill the bear because he is stalking them. Not a pleasurable feeling, I assure you. I have been stalked by mountain lions and it will put chills on your neck when you realize it.
     If, by some chance, you have missed this flick, by all means check it out. It easily fits into my top twenty films of all time. Of course, all that is a matter of taste. I must say that Alec Baldwin fails to get the praise he deserves. I feel that, given a good role, he is as good as anybody now living.
     From the author's green retreat, I'm CE Wills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is his AI, but Cybe