Skip to main content

Ravensword: Shadowlands...My Journey Part 1



    Hey, everyone. For the past few days, for several hours a day, I have played the IOS game called Ravensword Shadowlands. I got it for 99 cents, on sale, and I have found it to be one of the most excellent, fun games that I have played. I plan to talk about this lengthy game in installments. This is the first, as the erudite among you have surmised from the title.
    To start with, the developers have taken the awesome step of putting something in the options menu that I love. That being a sliding bar for you to choose the difficulty setting of the game. I set mine on the minimum, because I like to enjoy a game without being frustrated by it. Suit yourself on this. You may want to start on easy, then move it to hard after you've accumulated in-game cash and weapons.
     Let me say that there will be no imperative need for you to buy any in-app purchases. So, lets begin.
     This is a big world and I am a knight of sorts. My army and I got into a bit of a scrap with some bad dudes and our entire force was killed, except for myself. It was commonly believed that there was a supernatural element to the battle. The enemy had the help, some think, of dark forces.
    So, I am traveling around this world, seeking answers to the riddles of the battlefield and perhaps, revenge. One of the first places I go is to a wizard's house in the forest. His name is Lamil, and when I arrive at his place I find him in a bottle. A small bottle.
    So, he introduces himself and claims to be a great wizard. I say to him, "If you're such a great wizard, how did you wind up in a bottle? Are you aspiring to be a model ship?" This was funny, I thought. He thought, not so funny. Anyway, he wanted me to find some charm or something that would get him out of the bottle. It was located in the cave of the Trolls. I assured him that I would get it and left his abode. You must understand that you have to level up in this game, and improve weapons and magic etc. Also, you have to eat so there is a necessity to hunt. You have areas where the wild animals are abundant and it is a good idea to stock up with boar and deer. You can sell the hides to various merchants for gold.
     As I entered the cave I was laughing at Lamil's remark that he was in the bottle because he had accidentally turned his mentor's pet into a 5-legged goat. Likely excuse. Worse than the 'dog ate my homework'.
     The trolls get in my face. Because they are trolls and that is what they do. They are not internet trolls, but real big, ugly ones, complete with bad breath and a cave filled with bones. The bones of other men who have come to spoil their lair. I eventually fight my way to the treasure chest that these varmints have hidden. I take their goodies and find my way back to the wizard. With my help, he breaks out of the bottle in an explosion of red dust. Then he wants me to go see an Archmage, which, I guess, is like a Vegas magician, minus the tuxedo.
     During my journey, I run into a guy named Jonn. He lives in a tent in the woods and seems to be a Fence of some sort. He sells and buys stuff, including animal hides, so we do a little business. He deals in gold.
     I also get my butt handed to me by several huge bears, not the ones from Chicago, but huge grizzlies. It is clear that I need better weapons, health, potions, anything. In fact, I don't know if I had any weapons at first. I was continually defeated for the first hours of the game. The journey has been so arduous that I forget a lot.
     I do remember going to this hick town where a well-endowed lady lures me to her house. When I go in the door, two rogues attack me with swords and do me in. What did I do? I went to a store and bought a sword. Then I went back to Rebecca's house and put some cold steel in those rascals. Then, when they were dead, I confronted Rebecca out in the street. She swore that she had to help them or die. I let her off with a warning, but just to show her that she could not wrong me with impunity, I  went back in her house. You see, there is a button which you can use to jump. So, I went in and started jumping up and down on her bed! Yeah, really. It was fun, and I didn't even take my shoes off.
    Around town I noticed funny names on the shops. Like Bows and More. When I found the Archmage, he told me why I was the only survivor of the Battle of Herroman. He wanted me to find a Ravenstone in the Land of the Ice Giants.
      I go back and try to kill a bear. I go back again and again as I get better weapons. They are tough and get on me like stink on crap. Finally, I get this stone that gives me the ability to shoot flames out of the fingers of my right hand. Cool, right? Even after I set them on fire they kill me. If you've never been mauled by a flaming bear, you need to try it. Believe me, it's more fun to jump up and down on a bed. So I continue my journey, building my abilities and weapons.
     I found a steady source of income. There are these goblins that live in a destroyed castle in the woods. I started going there and killing them so I could abscond with their sacks of gold and their shields. Then I would take the shields to Jonn, my Fence, or Lena in Hicksville, for sale. In this manner I bettered myself. I got some good armor too. I think those Goblins came to view me as the kid who took their lunch money, every darn day. Really don't know why, but you can get 60 gold coins for a goblin shield. They are not much, made of weathered wood and have a not-scary face on them. Must be the novelty of having a goblin shield to show your friends. They are rare I guess. One certainly couldn't buy one at Wal-Mart.
    I ran across a wagon in the woods. There was a guy there who sold stuff, like Jonn. This guy had a grown daughter and she pulled me aside and wanted me to give her 500 gold pieces so she could run off with her true love, without letting her weird-looking Dad know. I didn't want involved in a family squabble, so I went back to killing goblins and trolls. Hey, everybody needs a hobby.
     Well, it's time for bed, I guess. The post was long but I'll try to finish this chronicle of my trip through Shadowlands, later.
    Good night. I'm CE Wills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is his AI, but Cybe