Skip to main content

Thor: The Dark World: If I Had a Hammer

   Hey, everyone. I went to see Thor: The Dark World today and enjoyed it. Then I went out to eat massive amounts of vittles (Southern for food), eventually returning home.
    One thought that crossed my mind during the show was about computer generated special effects. They have certainly come a long way the last couple of years. They are so good now that movies like Thor and the Avengers can truly be filmed. For instance, the scenes in today's movie of Asgard and its environs seemed real and plausible, making a suspension of disbelief easy to achieve. The fabled Rainbow Bridge was well-rendered. My favorite scenes with Thor's hammer returning to his hand, zipping across landscapes and through parallel dimensions, were very cool because of advances in this tech.
     If I had a hammer like that, I would have a ball with it. I would promise not to ever use it for evil. I would keep it clean and polish it and give it a better name than Mjolner. I know, its a Norse thing but I'd name mine Jack.  Or Tack. Or Arman. Ha, ha.
     Oh, yeah, the movie. I'd go see it if I were you. It is a good show with cool special effects. This thing is also chock full of surprises. Be sure to stay through the credits to see the preview of the next crisis/installment.
     However, this current movie concerns a major problem. The 9 realms, of which Earth (Midgard to you Asgardians) is one, have come into alignment for the first time in 5000 years, which I guess is a stone drag. Perhaps catastrophic would be a term to describe the impact of this event. Gravity, physics, tides, dark forces and the like get truly freaky. These less-than-lovable dwarfs or elves want to turn the universe into some dark crib of their liking, which would bring about destruction of humans and Asgardians alike.
      It seems Jane Porter has unwittingly become a host for a red vapor that is called the Aether. This is sort of like a galactic internet that will eventually kill her if left untended. But, the dwarfs capture her because they need this odd force to bring about the darkness that is their mode of partying.
     Well, to say these guys have gotten on Thor's bad side is putting it mildly. His hammer is fairly quivering in anger and he is fixing to open up a fresh can of dwarf kick-***.
     This film features the very interesting character of Loki to a much greater extent. As a writer, I like this guy. He is evil, sure, and he has an atrocious taste in headgear, but he has a decent streak and I believe he has feelings for his bro. (Hate, envy, stuff like that.) Still, he is in a celestial slammer when Thor asks for his help. Does Loki refuse his Bro? Nein, he does not. Make no mistake, Loki is no weakling. He is a formidable antagonist and has been known to kick some serious dwarf butt in his day.
     So the two brothers go to a creepy land to destroy the Aether and beat the crapola out of these folks who have kidnapped the lovely Jane Porter. No offense to these guys, or to Jane, who is fine, but for my money, the Lady Sif is a total babe and they should have taken her instead. I dig the way she carries her sword, among other things.
     Hey, you'll like this flick. So call that sweet lady you have been wanting to date and say, hey, "Would you like to watch Chris Hemsworth toss a hammer at people? If she is a red-blooded American girl, she will give you an emphatic yes(!) and you'll have a nice evening. Cool things are best enjoyed with the ladies, aren't they? Like that country song, Put a girl in it.
    From Midgard, this is CE Wills.
P.S. I not only don't have an I-Phone 5s (gold, 16 GiG) but I don't have a magical flying hammer that returns to me when I throw it. This is truly a bummer.
P.S.S. Tom Hiddleston is Loki
          Natalie Portman is Jane Porter
          Anthony Hopkins is Odin
          Jamie Alexander is The Lady Sif (South Carolina person)
          Chris Hemsworth is, truly, The Mighty Thor
     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol

Men In Black 3, Just Empty Black Suits?

    Hey, everyone, out there in the world! Nice of you to stop by. Today I downloaded Men In Black 3 for I-Pad. There were a number of positive reviews on the app store, but there were several reviews that complained about the game failing to open. This was my experience. It opened to the screen shown above and froze there. At least it was free. I have an I-Pad 3, so maybe you will have better luck with yours.     EA games is having a big sale for the holiday weekend. I already have most of the titles which are on sale, however. I did buy several games this weekend, though, and I'd like to tell you about them.    Get Out of My Galaxy is a Mario type of space game in which you control a monster with 4 arms. The dude eats rocks and has a penchant for slapping little cone-headed aliens. There are a certain number of aliens to slap on every planet, then you move on to the next world. There are power-ups to grab as you go along, for health and other things. There is prickly vegetatio