Skip to main content

Gaming Adventures





   Hey, everyone. For the last few weeks I have been investigating the high-stakes, live on the razor's edge world of gaming. It happened on this wise.
    I have been just a tad aggravated with I-Pad gaming for reasons that I have talked about at length on these pages. So, I borrowed an X-Box 360 for the purpose of ascertaining if it would be a feasible source of amusement for a guy with 60 plus years under his belt. I had tried it once before but the controls seemed difficult compared to my Padster. In fact, the tech seemed, dare I say it?) shrouded in the mists of the past compared to touch screen controls on my I-Pad Air.
    This time around, I was determined to give it a fair try and play it for a few days or weeks until I decided whether or not to invest in a PS4, a PS3, an X-Box One or an X-Box 360. True to form, I exhaustively read reviews and sought counseling about the matter. My gaming mentor, the doughty Trevor, said that he preferred the PS3 controls over the X-Box, as did another player I respect called Darrell. I examined the list of available games and read full reviews of the new generations' games such as Rhys of Rome. Fairly quickly, I decided that buying an older device would yield more available games, as well as bring me a cheaper price for those games and the device to play them on. But, since I actually had an X-Box 360 borrowed, I started leaning toward buying one, rather than the PS3. So, it went on and on. Every day, or most days, I played a bit of games like Rage, Halo and others. Mostly I played Rage because I have always wanted to play it. I view it as good training for the coming apocalypse. Ha, ha.
     It was quite comical, watching an aged man taking baby steps on this device and struggling to do the simplest things, like throw a grenade. Yet I persevered and may I say that Rage seemed to be a little glitchy. I assure you that the X-Box controls were a greater burden of training than I have experienced in some parts of nuclear power plants. Of course, I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer at this stage of my life. Still, I worked through the failed saves of progress, the taunts of video game characters who lived in disgusting conditions, apparently with no sanitation facilities, not to mention the wry amusement of visitors. I eventually completed the odd mission and took great pleasure in sending mutants to their just reward.(?)
     Then I did a funny thing. I went on Amazon and bought the complete three games of Mass Effect because I simply loved the game on I-Pad. It has not arrived as of yet but I anticipate its arrival with great eagerness. Stupid to spend 40-odd dollars on games which I have no means to play, other than a borrowed console. I still have no idea if I will buy any of the devices mentioned, so it would seem to be ... stupid on the surface.
     Further complicating matters is the fact  that my friend stood in line for three hours in freezing temperatures and bought two of the new PS4. His intention was to sell the extra one if none of his friends wanted it.You know that when something is impossible to find, like an I-Phone 5S (gold, 16 Gig) that it sends me into a frenzy of desire. So, I know that I can drive a few miles, shell out the cash and have the PS4. Heck, he'd probably bring it to me, if I asked nicely.
     Also, as though knowing my lack of satisfaction with the latest games in the in-app generation of IOS, I have lately found several games I am enjoying on I-Pad. Games like the charming Tiger and Chicken, in which I played the role of a daring chicken who learns the ninja-like skills and zen-like spirituality needed to set all chickendom right, as he embarks on a quest that spans several climates and nations. I had a blast with it and played it for several days and untold hours.
     Then I started playing the gorgeous graphics of the crime thriller called Lawless. This is an in-app game that is done with class. I played the heck out of it and finally bought an in-app to keep from feeling like a freeloader. You'd like it to, if you like action games. It was funny, I was playing one level and trying my best to keep from hitting this idiot civilian who kept running across my shooting line. Come to find out, the old boy was actually the rival mafioso that I had been sent to terminate. Such is life in the fast paced, high pressure world of I-Pad hit men like myself.
     Tonight, Trevor came over and he and I swapped the controller as we made a sweet run  through the ruins of the Rage wastelands. I finally just turned it over to him and enjoyed watching the master at work. He ravaged this grim land and blasted his way through places with names like Ghostland, Dead City and Shroudland. He killed a huge monster who reached his massive hand down into the sewers in a vain attempt to dethrone the king. Poor creature lay dead a few minutes later, its massive carcass broiling in the sun. Trevor assaulted gun emplacements on lofty towers by smashing into them with his dune buggy. Why didn't I think of that? My wife had to console me. "Honey, you know he has been playing this system since he was a kid." Then he drove up a ramp, went airborne and destroyed a flying drone. Must I be shamed on my home court? The up side is that now I have all sorts of goodies that he earned. Like assault rifles and a dune buggy, along with some dubious friends in Wellspring. Now I shall use them for my own selfish pursuits, here in the wasteland.
       I have also been working diligently on another book; more news on that shortly. Not only that, but I also did stuff like carry out the garbage, drink beer and read a lot. So, it's not as though I've been goofing off. I am reading the book by the late Elmore Leonard called Pronto. It's good and it is the first of his books concerning my favorite lawman from television, the estimable Raylon Givens of Justified. Expect a full review of this novel in the near future. Oh, yeah, I also helped put up the Christmas tree, here at the author's green retreat.
   I'm CE Wills, a man of many talents and tireless energy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol

Men In Black 3, Just Empty Black Suits?

    Hey, everyone, out there in the world! Nice of you to stop by. Today I downloaded Men In Black 3 for I-Pad. There were a number of positive reviews on the app store, but there were several reviews that complained about the game failing to open. This was my experience. It opened to the screen shown above and froze there. At least it was free. I have an I-Pad 3, so maybe you will have better luck with yours.     EA games is having a big sale for the holiday weekend. I already have most of the titles which are on sale, however. I did buy several games this weekend, though, and I'd like to tell you about them.    Get Out of My Galaxy is a Mario type of space game in which you control a monster with 4 arms. The dude eats rocks and has a penchant for slapping little cone-headed aliens. There are a certain number of aliens to slap on every planet, then you move on to the next world. There are power-ups to grab as you go along, for health and other things. There is prickly vegetatio