Skip to main content

Whispering Bells


   Hey, everyone, snuggled in your beds in some far-away land. Even now you are perhaps beginning your day. Some will go out and herd cattle in the Outback of Australia, others will be going to a factory in the U.S.A. Whatever your routine, I'm glad you stopped by the Green Retreat for a few moments.
   Here at my place it is cold, 23 degrees at 5 A.M. I woke at 4 A.M. and couldn't go back to sleep. So, I lay and thought about my books. I thought in particular about my Western Series concerning the great gunman, Cedric Gant. My mind wandered peacefully over his life and career. I thought about the things he'd done, the fights he'd been in. How he had gained a wife, and notoriety as a gunslinger. I thought about his failures as a person and their tragic aftermath. I thought about his courage and the good he'd done for many. How he was willing to take the part of the weak and downtrodden.
    So the thoughts came and went, there in the darkness of the bedroom, my wife sleeping beside me. I thought about how Cedric and his friends had found a wagon in Southern Colorado. How the wagon had been burned by Indians and the horses stolen. How the bodies of several priests were there, mutilated and scalped. I remembered the mission bell they had found in the ashes and how they hung it from a tree at their ranch.
     I thought about how that same bell had saved several lives, including a Nun who had been abducted. That brings us to the title of this post, Whispering Bells. This was the title of a cool old song from the 1950's, I guess. I can play it fairly well on piano. The reason I bring it up is because I have been going around humming it all morning. I was thinking about the bell in my books and I guess my mind sifted through all the clutter and said, "Hey, I bet old CE would like to hear this golden oldie..." Then it comes out over the 'airways' like a disc jockey who plays tunes only for me.
Whispering Bells, please bring my baby back to me...Baby back to me.
     I once read a story that Zane Grey's son had written concerning his dad. He said that in his later years, especially when he was near death, Zane Grey would go back and read his own books. He would be tremendously moved by certain parts of them, literally brought to tears by specific sections. I totally understand this. Those sections were no doubt real to him. They were probably heavily influenced by events from his own life. people he knew, memories precious to recall. Plus, we become vested in our characters. They grow up under our care. They live, laugh, love, perhaps even kill. We watch over them like a benevolent uncle or something. Then, when their tale is told and finished, we think back on the old rascals with the greatest sense of satisfaction... and peace. We have created something that, perhaps, someone will relax with a generation from now. That may well provide some pleasure and escape from the unpleasantness of life to someone who is not even born at this present time. It is a nice feeling.
     As I lay against Carley, warming my aged bones, I thought about the old home on the mountain. We just sold it, lately. It was the original green retreat and boy, was it isolated? It was a perfect place for a writer. It was a thirty minute drive to a place where you could buy a coke. I could walk outside on a night like this and see the dark forest, stripped of leaves, the moonlight searching the trails, animals stalking their prey. I could look toward the creek and see the night fog laying like a loaf of white bread below me. I could hear a distant freight train, faintly singing with its wheels on the tracks, like whispering bells.
    I'm CE Wills. Good day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol

Men In Black 3, Just Empty Black Suits?

    Hey, everyone, out there in the world! Nice of you to stop by. Today I downloaded Men In Black 3 for I-Pad. There were a number of positive reviews on the app store, but there were several reviews that complained about the game failing to open. This was my experience. It opened to the screen shown above and froze there. At least it was free. I have an I-Pad 3, so maybe you will have better luck with yours.     EA games is having a big sale for the holiday weekend. I already have most of the titles which are on sale, however. I did buy several games this weekend, though, and I'd like to tell you about them.    Get Out of My Galaxy is a Mario type of space game in which you control a monster with 4 arms. The dude eats rocks and has a penchant for slapping little cone-headed aliens. There are a certain number of aliens to slap on every planet, then you move on to the next world. There are power-ups to grab as you go along, for health and other things. There is prickly vegetatio