Skip to main content

If I Get Home By Christmas Day




      Hey, everyone, and I hope the holidays find you content and healthy. The title of this post is a bit misleading, since I am already home and plan to be home for Christmas. I'll have to figure out why I used that title in a moment.
      This is Christmas Eve, of course. I am sitting here next to the window so I can hear the Fed-Ex guy, should he arrive. I was tracking a package for someone that should remain unnamed. This parcel left a local place around 6 A.M. this morning and should arrive today. Oh, it is not that big of a deal if it arrives after Christmas.
     Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of top-secret, devious, underhanded, fun plots in the works for Christmas. I thought seriously about a 'Santa' scheme. When my boys were young, we did the traditional thing and awoke in the middle of the night to place some stuff under the tree from Santa. If there was a bicycle to put together or an AT/AT Walker from Star Wars, Carley would interpret directions while I applied nuts and bolts. Thusly, the little guys would be surprised on Christmas morning. Well, my plan was to buy my sons a cool present and con their kids into placing it under the tree in the wee hours. This dastardly plot failed to come to fruition because I could not find what I wanted to buy for them. Sigh...
      It seems like stores don't stock as much as they used to. Even the on-line stores don't. Whatever.
Oh. about the title of the post. This is the title to an old Elvis song I heard the other day. I really like it as it reminds me of my years on the road. I like not having to race home from somewhere. Sometimes, I would be sitting in a pump room or at a boiler or some concrete room, far from home. I'd hate to count the holidays I've missed.
       Carley is bustling around the kitchen, a comforting sound to hear. She is baking Christmas cookies and stopped long enough to fix pancakes and sausage for breakfast. Very tasty.
       We bought an artificial tree this year. It is white with white lights. It is called a 'pencil tree' as it is designed to fit in close quarters. Quite pretty, I think, though I miss setting forth with an axe, into the woods, and cutting down a cedar tree. I love the smell of cedar, don't you?
     Last night we had torrential rain. I sat and read an old western by Zane Grey called Shadow on the Trail. I have read it a dozen times but I love it.
     Blogging has been odd, lately. I'll type a post and not publish it. Over the 5 years or so that I have blogged, I have over a hundred(112) of these types of posts. Still, I have published over 800 (848) posts, which seems like a lot of work. Sometimes, I will see a movie and begin to review it, only to find I have reviewed it previously. Makes one feel old.
      I typed a post about the NFL, then decided it was harsh. Don't want to be  a downer to anyone. Then I did a blog about a movie and saw that I had already written about it two years ago.Left it unpublished. Then I wrote about my Internet Provider and decided to leave it unseen.
      I think that if you are in a critical mood, you don't like your own work. Sometimes it is about confidence. To be a writer, one needs to feel that what you have to say may prove interesting to someone. This is the same for public speaking. It is the worst feeling in the world to get up in front of a crowd of people and feel that you have nothing to say.
    Hopefully, if I feel the muse, I'll blog about something more substantial in the remaining time before Christmas.
    From the author's green retreat, I'm CE Wills.
P.S. The cookies are Peanut Butter Bars, Cowpile cookies Pumpkin Spice Bars and Magic Bars. The Magic bars contain nuts, chocolate chips, coconut, graham cracker crusts and Eagle brand milk. Shown below are Ritz cookies. You put peanut butter on Ritz crackers, then give them a chocolate bath.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is his AI, but Cybe