Skip to main content

Play 60

    Hey, everyone. I find it hard to talk about the NFL, objectively. Of course, my favorite team, The Atlanta Falcons, are playing in the "Humanitarian Division" of the NFL. That is, this division is comprised of teams that believe it is better to give wins than to receive them. Ha, ha.
     Truly, I was proud of the Birds when they played the Packers in Green Bay. For the simple reason that they played hard. To play a good Packer team that tight at Lambeau Field is nothing to be ashamed of. They could have easily won that game. The underlying theme of the past two years for the Falcons is their nonchalant effort in most games. A few weeks ago, against the Steelers, I am convinced they were the better team.
     Matt Ryan is a guy I have a ton of respect for and he is gritty and a decent man. He is certainly a Franchise Quarterback. But, he gets rattled in some big games. Against Pittsburgh that day, he threw three horrible passes in a row, including the pick 6. But hey, I watched Peyton Manning misfiring several times that same weekend. Peyton is probably the most accurate passer I have seen since I started watching pro football in 1958 and I wondered if he had issues with the arm or was simply seeing old age creep upon him. I heard later that he had been ill and had taken 4 bags of IV fluids before the game.
     I follow the Tennessee Titans a lot, also, and have been to a game in Nashville. That franchise is disintegrating before our eyes. When Dallas played there a few weeks ago, the Titans had a chance to endear themselves to their fans against the hated Cowboys and failed utterly. The stands are not filled unless it be with the visiting team's folks. Jake Locker seems like a good guy and is certainly talented. I don't think he will have the same role in the future with that franchise, however.
   Quarterbacking is a funny job. Leadership is a word overused and misunderstood in football. It is not about being mouthy or a cheerleader. It is not about strolling around the sideline with a clipboard. It is about playing when you'd rather be in bed, say like the normal guy who goes to work when he has the flu, so he can feed his family. No one can say how bad a guy is hurt, except the guy. But some guys just don't seem to want to play. I totally get it that this is just a game and we wouldn't want our kid to play hurt. It is tough to judge people. Coaches have that unenviable job.
     I watched Matt Ryan take a vicious hit the other day. He dragged his weary butt off the ground and stayed in the game. I love this guy. I like people who play hard for 60 minutes. That is not too much to ask. I'd rather have a guy that screws up, but will try, than the most talented person in the world.
     Let me use for an example the year before last. The postseason where the Falcons had a huge lead late in the game, against San Fran, and casually lost. The defense could not play hard for 60 minutes. Oftentimes, when you have an opportunity like that, and you flitter it away, you never see it again. A few moments of hard work away from a Super Bowl and you can't do it? It may be a decade before the Falcons see that chance again. They did the same thing in the playoffs against the Cowboys, back in the 1980's. They allowed Dallas to score three touchdowns in two minutes. (Of course, in that case officials and the dreaded pass interference calls were a culprit.) The franchise spent a decade trying to reach a similar position.
     Like Vince Young. If he could go back and do it over, would he curse at his coach in a crowded locker room in front of Jeff Fisher's kid? I doubt it. He had the opportunity to be a starting quarterback in the NFL, one of only 32 such jobs on the planet. It was not his talent that decided his fate, but the stuff that went on between his ears.
      When Jim Ersay of the Colts had his meltdown and was calling Peyton a politician, did Manning reply in kind? No, he went to Denver and went to work. If you are down and depressed, go to work. If you have failed at your job, go to work. If you have let your mouth overload your butt, go to work. All I am saying is, few really see their opportunity.
       This is not a surprise. Since early childhood, most of the players in the NFL have been told how great they are. They have a ton of money and praise. They have had their butt kissed until their cheeks are chapped. If they had to work at a restaurant or a construction job, they would be able to go back to the Georgia Dome or Titan Stadium and play hard for 60 minutes. The NFL has a campaign going for kids. Play 60, they say to America's kids. Perhaps they should say that to their players. Before the time comes when they fall from Mount Olympus and have to work a job.
      To me, elite is an interesting term when used to define an NFL quarterback. When I look at Brady, Manning, Rogers, Unitas, Farve, and a few dozen others, I see guys that want to play. I know those guys have played hurt. I know they have a target on their back. I know that they have no desire for a clipboard, even though it weighs less than a Defensive tackle on one's face.
     I remember when John Smoltz hired a guy to 'coach him up' about his mental outlook on performing. It made a huge difference to John's success, particularly in the postseason.. These guys in the NFL have a parade of opportunities to mess up a good thing. I admire those who don't.
     Being a football fan is like being a parent. It is not that you haven't made similar mistakes to the people that you are watching with such interest. No, it is just that you can see it more clearly from the sidelines, as you stroll, with your clipboard in hand, from your recliner.
     From the recliner of life, I'm CE Wills.
P.S. I see that it is in vogue to have several rounds of interviews with coaching candidates. Seems like an odd thing. Hey, if you talk to the guy for a couple of hours, don't you know your own mind? These guys can't wait weeks while the limited market dries up. I understand that Rex Ryan is taking the Buffalo job. Good for him. As for the Falcons, you snooze, you lose. Now you can hold another round of interviews and pick from those coaches that other franchises did not jump at. I appreciate the fact that a ton of money makes you feel like you are doing everyone a favor, giving them a job, but sometimes speed is of the essence. That being said, I know that important decisions should be made with care. I've bought too many cars on the spur of the moment and regretted it later. Still, it seems disrespectful to ask guys to jump through hoops, put their life on hold and fly all over the country more than is necessary.
      I wish that guys would quit the suggestive movements after they score a touchdown. Just saying. I also don't like to see coaches working the officials. They should stay on their side of the line. I liked the way that official penalized Harbaugh yesterday. The officials should not have to continually go over and placate these guys. Also, if you are going to throw a flag for pass interference, throw it before someone complains. That is B.S. It is like they talked you into it. No wonder the officiating has gone down hill. I still see missed calls, after replay. (Sorry, Lions fans) Bottom line is that this is a tough, thankless job and I shouldn't complain.
     Hated to see Mike Smith, the Falcons coach, get fired. I liked him a lot and he is a good coach. Still, his team just tried hard on rare occasions.  Play 60 would have been a good mantra for them. In the playoffs the playing is intense...or is it just that the teams that make the playoffs are the ones that play hard every week?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is his AI, but Cybe