Skip to main content

Book Review: Bad Luck and Trouble

      Hey, everyone. I recently completed a good book which I'd like to tell you about. Good books are rare and my wife has told me that sharing is caring, so here goes.
    Bad Luck and Trouble is a Lee Child book starring Jack Reacher. Reacher has become an iconic character and is one of my favorite fictional friends. As you may know, Jack is a former Army investigator who left the army and bums around the United States,hitchhiking or riding buses. In doing so, he lands in various adventures. He is a big guy, about 6' and 5" and tends to take the underdog's side in any scrap.
     Reacher checks his bank balance one day at an ATM and discovers that he has more money than expected. To the tune of $1030. Rather than going on his way rejoicing, like most people, he is concerned. Because his former group of Army cops used 1030 as the numerical code for an emergency. So he uses his particular set of skills to find out who is in trouble. The trail leads him to L.A. and to a former associate named Neagley. She was an investigator in Reacher's former group. She informs Jack that their former friends from the Army are disappearing one by one. Some are missing and at least one has been found dead. The circumstances of his death are suspicious. It appears that someone threw him from a helicopter at about 3000 feet. This would most likely rule out an accidental death.
     Reacher gathers the rest of his former squad together( for a total of four people) and begins to look for the culprits. They find that the deceased was working for an outfit called New Age. This is not a religious place but rather a clandestine military contractor. After they start asking questions at New Age, the LAPD and several government agencies seem to be interested in Reacher and his friends. When another body is found in the desert, evidently dumped from a helicopter, it doesn't need Jack's investigative skills to conclude the worst about the friends that are still missing.
       Reacher brings his brand of ruthless justice to L.A., even if he must deal with crooked cops. When he needs funds, he just robs gangbangers. When he needs weapons, he just takes them. When others might opt for a citizens arrest, Reacher just kills people. When you need a good read, just try this book. You won't be disappointed.
    From the author's green retreat, I'm CE Wills
P.S. Wonder when another Reacher movie will be made? I understand that Lee Child has signed a deal whereby the movies can be made of any of his books. Hey, I liked Tom Cruise in that role, despite his size, but I would like to see Liam Neeson try his hand at it. He is a big guy, and a good actor. By the way, you should go to Nerdist, a site I enjoy. They have an audio of Liam pranking a guy. It seems that Maggie Grace, who played his daughter in Taken, had just endured a guy dumping her. So, Liam called the guy and told him that he had been "dating out of his league" and that he should beware of Neeson using a particular set of  skills on the young fellow. Great stuff.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is his AI, but Cybe