Skip to main content

New Year's Eve In Mordor (With Alphonse)



     Hey, everyone, and Happy New Year. I rang in the New Year in Mordor. It was intense, I can tell you. I am beginning to learn the ropes and to play better. It is easily one of the best games ever. I played for almost 4 hours straight this evening. I enjoyed it so much that I feel that I have already had my $30.00 worth of pleasure from the game. I went through a long session without being killed by Orcs, Urlocks or the massive beasts of this world.
    I had a tough time dealing with the loss of a Carogen. I hope that is the right spelling for these huge and ferocious beasts. The Orcs keep the fierce animals caged up in the ruins of a great city. Usually there are several guards around the area. After you kill the guards or sneak up on the cage, you find the cage locked with a chain. Using my sword, I cut the chain. Of course the animals are not tame. You have to climb a wall immediately. Then you can jump down and mount the creature.( Left Control) After mounting him, you have a fight to keep your seat, like with a wild horse. In order to subjugate the rascal, you use your mouse to click inside a circle, or hit the space bar. Something of this nature is used to break the animal to the saddle. I intend to use my E button on him today, to drain him of some of his edge.
       My first creature was a joy. I named him Alphonse. I rode him into battle. He will fight Orcs for you. Having Alphonse changed my attitude in Mordor. No longer did I creep around in stealth mode, cowering in bushes. Nay, I say unto thee, nay. I rode proudly astride my prehistoric steed, seeking out adventure and Orcs to kill. It reminded me so much of Tolkein's contemporary, Mr. Burroughs. The great Edgar Rice Burroughs. This was a favorite theme of his. One of his heroes would either befriend or subjugate a savage beast and enable himself to survive and flourish in Pellucidar or the Jungles of Tarzan. It was as though I remembered my 12-year old self but now I  had stepped into an inter-active Burroughs book and I rode a mighty Griph into battle. Or perhaps I bestrode my friend Tantor the elephant.
      Then tragedy struck and my Alphonse was killed during the fiercest fighting I have experienced in this savage land. It happened on this wise. Alphonse and I encountered three of the savage chieftains of this kingdom, out in force with their minions. We killed several in action so fast and furious that it was a blur. One of the Orc Captains was throwing hatchets or something at Alphonse and slew him. I fell to the ground but fought over his dead body for a few moments before falling prey to this band of cutthroats.
      When I did the astral stuff and awakened on top of the Forge Tower, I went to find some Grog and drink a round to Alphonse. He was a faithful friend, though he tried to kill me, on New Year's Eve, here in Mordor.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is his AI, but Cybe