Skip to main content

Wawrinka, Odd Decor and the Elvis Treatment

    Hey, everyone. Glad you could stop by the author's green retreat. Nice sunset, don't you think?
    I watched the final of the Aussie Open yesterday and got a big kick out of it. Let me tell you some thoughts on this rather bizarre match between Stanislav Wawrinka and Rafael Nadal. As you know, I love Nadal. I like his intensity and his bull dog tenacity, his effort. I like Wawrinka too. I like the tatt on his forearm about failure and effort.
     Before this match started they were being filmed coming down the tunnel and I guess Rafa stopped and let Stan wait on him, with Stan carrying that heavy equipment bag. Gamesmanship? Only Rafa knows. I watched Wawrinka drop his bag and there was a look of irritation on his face...and the eye of the tiger.
    I thought to myself. You might want to forget that this guy has never taken a set from Nadal, let alone beaten the Spaniard. Sure enough, Wawrinka beat Nadal, but what a way to beat him.
    Wawrinka came out kicking butt and taking names and he really didn't care if he was taking the name of the world #1 or not. He was clearly relaxed, focused and playing the best tennis of his life. He pummeled Nadal in the first set and half the second. Clearly the better player on this day was Stanislav Wawrinka.
   Then Nadal hurt his back. He was in a lot of pain, took a time out, got treatment. Cool. Rafa came back out, was booed by the crowd and played horribly due to the injury. Once the painkillers kicked in he played much better and actually took a set. His inability to provide much pace on the ball really messed with his opponent's game. I actually beat a guy this way, many years ago. I mean, he was a really good player; I was pretty bad. But, he couldn't handle my lolly-pop game. He got really P.O.'ed. Tough. Suck it up, butter-cup. Ha, ha. But I digress.
    I can imagine Wawrinka's feelings when Rafa took the injury time out. "Here I have been beaten by this guy, like 26 times in a row. Every ****** time I went to the net and shook hands and took my  lumps. Today I am whipping his fanny like a rented mule and he hurts his back?"
    Obviously, Stan did not say this and probably didn't think it, but he was clearly frustrated as he had a confrontation with the chair umpire. I don't believe he thought Nadal was faking, he was just wound up and within sight of his first major.
     I was really glad to see the Swiss dude win and I was proud of the way he played under great duress. I love to see folks have a breakthrough. I was also glad to see Li Na win. Hey, did you see ESPN give her the Elvis Treatment?
     What I mean is this. She was serving and the camera was giving some close-ups. Her underpants were a bit abbreviated (I didn't notice) and the camera started showing her from the waist up, like Elvis on Ed Sullivan. Cool. Now, I am not intimating that Elvis wore panties on Ed Sullivan. Please do not send me any e-mails to that effect. How did I get to this subject?
     About the decor I mentioned in the title...and not Li Na's deal either. We went to a retaurant today that had some odd decor. I liked it, though some of you probably would not find it as sophisticated as you would like. This was a chain restaurant called The Santa Fe Cattle Co. (Good food.)
   This is a steak and rib place with a bar and so on. We were seated in the bar and the brick work had beer bottles and cans imbedded in them. Also, the windows that allowed a view into the rest of the dining area were installed at a 45 degree angle. I teased Carley that they looked level to me but in reality I knew they weren't all bubbled up right.
     Then, I go in the rest room, the mens', and there was a big picture of a woman taking a bath in an old washtub. I mean, a nice-looking blond lady in a copper bucket with the sun as a backdrop. Really, it was so pretty I damn near cried. Call me strange, but I took a picture of it. My plan was to share it with y'all but it had a glare on it.
     Then we went outside and saw a big, black bull in front. I wanted my picture taken in front of it but I didn't want to embarass my wife. I think it blessed her that I was that considerate. Ha, ha.
    Also, they had a bench that looked like a slew (a lot) of horseshoes welded together. They also had a mechanical chicken on their roof, which is one of my favorite devices on this earth. You could tell that it wasn't a real chicken, however.
Oh, yeah, there was an armadillo that was drinking a bottle of beer. How cool is that? Does that beat the crap out of Ronald McDonald or what?
    Well, I must go. I am going to meditate on the weirdness of humans and how they could want to censor nature's beautiful scenery.
     From the author's green retreat, I'm CE Wills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is his AI, but Cybe