Skip to main content

Deer, Lightning Bugs and Lee Child

    Hey, everyone. Carley and I were just sitting on the porch, drinking some beers and chatting. We were playing with the I-Pads and just enjoying being lazy. We had been to the big city and eaten mass quantities of vittles (food). We stopped by the theater and I was thinking about watching Prometheus. The next showing was the 3D version. They had a banner outside that proclaimed that they would add a charge of $3.50 for each ticket for the cardboard and plastic glasses they dole out. This is over and above the extra ticket charge for the 3D. It irritated us enough so that we just went on our merry way home.
 Hey, get this. They have the gall to ask you to throw your 3D glasses in a bin on your way out to "hold down costs". If this wasn't a 'G' rated blog I'd tell you what I think of that.
     As we sat on the porch, two scrawny-looking deer came walking out of the woods. Carley tried to get a picture with the I-Pad 3 but it didn't turn out too well. Then, as it got darker, the lightning bugs started showing off. Little pinpoints of light began to pop here and there. It was cheerful and as usual, made me think of my childhood, when we would capture a bunch and put them in a mason jar. We'd take a knife and poke holes in the lid so they would live longer. Now I see that as a bit cruel but then I never thought about it.
    Hey, I finished that Lee Child book which I mentioned two nights ago. It was a humdinger. (That means exceptional in southern lingo.) Here's the recipe.
     Jack Reacher is a former Army cop who is just hitching around the U.S.A.. In this particular episode he is on a bus in South Dakota with a bunch of senior citizens on a tour. They get caught in a blizzard and marooned in a small town. This town has a prison in the vicinity and draws its living, its existence, from that den of incarceration.
      Reacher becomes involved with the local cops who want to use his considerable expertise. They have an elderly lady under witness protection because she has witnessed a drug-related crime and is under a death threat. A Mexican drug lord is pulling strings on an international level to see that she never testifies. Those strings reach into the local prison and cause riots, just to pull the local cops off their guard detail, leaving Jack Reacher, alone, to protect the spunky lady from a handful of assassins. Who is the local spy for the drug lord? Who can Reacher trust?
    As usual, I am trying to tell a story without ruining the book for you. Suffice it to say that this book is at least a 4 star out of 5 and I highly recommend it. Even in portions of the book which are slower on the action, Lee Child keeps your interest and the story doesn't drag. There are probably only about 20 people on earth who can write like this consistently and Lee Child is a member of that select fraternity.
    The name of the book is 61 Hours and it is top notch reading.
From the land of deer, lightning bugs and books, this is CE Wills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol

Men In Black 3, Just Empty Black Suits?

    Hey, everyone, out there in the world! Nice of you to stop by. Today I downloaded Men In Black 3 for I-Pad. There were a number of positive reviews on the app store, but there were several reviews that complained about the game failing to open. This was my experience. It opened to the screen shown above and froze there. At least it was free. I have an I-Pad 3, so maybe you will have better luck with yours.     EA games is having a big sale for the holiday weekend. I already have most of the titles which are on sale, however. I did buy several games this weekend, though, and I'd like to tell you about them.    Get Out of My Galaxy is a Mario type of space game in which you control a monster with 4 arms. The dude eats rocks and has a penchant for slapping little cone-headed aliens. There are a certain number of aliens to slap on every planet, then you move on to the next world. There are power-ups to grab as you go along, for health and other things. There is prickly vegetatio