Skip to main content

Paladin, Where Do You Roam?

     Good evening. One of the truly great western television series of all time was called Have Gun Will Travel. It starred Richard Boone, a terrific actor, as Paladin. A gun for hire. This series was so different than the normal western, and so much better. Instead of the same tiresome plots, it had some great story lines. Recently, this series has started being replayed on the Encore Westerns Channel on cable and satellite. I have started to tape them on the TIVO and have thoroughly enjoyed them. The series originally aired in the early sixties and late fifties and I can't remember individual episodes, so it is almost like watching them for the first time. Especially tonight, as I was privileged to watch, for the first time, the story of how Paladin became Paladin.
      It turns out that Paladin is not even the hero's real name, but the name given to him by his...mentor. The story goes like this.
     Paladin lives at the Hotel Carlton in San Francisco. He comes back to his room one night and there is an intruder in his room who has been tasked with killing Paladin. The young man doesn't even know Paladin but has agreed to shoot the gunman to settle a gambling debt. Evidently the one who hired the assassin has an old score against Paladin.
     Paladin subdues the youngster and questions him, rather than kill him. When he finds out that the young fellow is trying to kill him to settle a gambling debt, he is shook up, because he had once done a similar thing. He begins to tell the younger man a story of his past.
    The man only known as Paladin was fresh from the civil war, a hero and the scion of a wealthy family. He was, however, a wastrel and a gambler and his folks had given him a monthly stipend to just stay away from them. In addition, he had quite the reputation as a duelist. In other words, he would, as a matter of honor, challenge men to a duel over slights, real or imagined. You know, the meeting at dawn, with seconds, backs pressed together, take twenty paces, turn and fire. The whole grim business.
     Because of his status as a duelist, he was targeted by a schemer called Mr.Norge, who beat him at poker, took his IOU for funds, then demanded a service to prevent the public disgrace of welching on a debt. The service? Go to a remote valley and challenge a man named Smoke to a duel, then kill him. Paladin reluctantly agrees. It seems that Mr. Norge had ruled the valley, and a town, with an iron hand until Smoke had ran him off, at gunpoint, never to return on pain of death.
    In our story, episode #113, by the way, Paladin travels to that valley. He is captured by Smoke, imprisoned in a cul-de-sac and despite this, Paladin challenges the man to a duel. Smoke says that he should train first, then fight. In an odd sort of relationship, the ailing, older man actually trains the young duelist for their pending battle. He gives his foe the title of Paladin, like a knight of old. Why? Because he is into honor and all that, yet he fights for gold and has yet to find his high ideal that makes a fight noble, in and of itself. This is what has salvaged the once evil man called Smoke,  who admits that he had done no good thing until he saved the people of the valley from the grasp of Mr. Norge.
    Both men are men of letters. Education, appreciation of literature and art, and so on. In another life they might have been friends. Alas, it was not to be. Once Paladin has been properly trained in the science of the draw, Smoke gives him one bullet for his gun. The newly named Paladin kills Smoke, but at a cost. A new-found conscious comes to him. He adopts the name of Paladin and yes, he uses his gun, but only for causes he deems just and righteous. Wherever the weak are oppressed by the ruthless is where he rides.
     Hey Boy, his Chinese bell hop at the Hotel, is a cool supporting character. The rascal reads all Paladin's mail and brings those letters to Paladin that he deems interesting.
    I mentioned once on this blog that I got a Paladin gun set for Christmas, once upon a time, as a kid. It was mega-cool, complete with the black holster with the silver knight on it. (The chess piece). There was the Colt revolver, a two-shot derringer and a stack of business cards which had the picture of the knight and proclaimed Have Gun, Will Travel. I thought I was hot stuff, rest assured of that. The weapons were cap guns. You could put a roll of caps in them and make sufficient noise so that your Mom regretted buying you the darn things. I loved to smell of the exploding caps, I can remember that.
    Well, I have rambled on, but if you want to watch a gunfighter who quotes poetry to his enemies and is refreshingly different, try Have Gun Will Travel.
    I'm CE Wills.

Comments

  1. A favorite show of mine as well, but Hop Sing was on Bonanza. Hey Boy was the servant at the Hotel Carlton.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to thank you, Drace, for your excellent 'catch' on my error about the Chinese sidekicks. I will correct the post and thanks for reading the blog. Keep your powder dry.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol

Men In Black 3, Just Empty Black Suits?

    Hey, everyone, out there in the world! Nice of you to stop by. Today I downloaded Men In Black 3 for I-Pad. There were a number of positive reviews on the app store, but there were several reviews that complained about the game failing to open. This was my experience. It opened to the screen shown above and froze there. At least it was free. I have an I-Pad 3, so maybe you will have better luck with yours.     EA games is having a big sale for the holiday weekend. I already have most of the titles which are on sale, however. I did buy several games this weekend, though, and I'd like to tell you about them.    Get Out of My Galaxy is a Mario type of space game in which you control a monster with 4 arms. The dude eats rocks and has a penchant for slapping little cone-headed aliens. There are a certain number of aliens to slap on every planet, then you move on to the next world. There are power-ups to grab as you go along, for health and other things. There is prickly vegetatio