Skip to main content

Book Review: The Affair

    Hey, everyone. I recently stopped by the library and checked out a book by Lee Child. It is titled The Affair and it is an excellent read. Here's the recipe.
       Jack Reacher is the hero. At the time of this story, he is still in the Army. He is a Major and is highly regarded in the Military Police. He is sent on a case to the deep south, an Army base in Mississippi. He is actually sent to the small town adjacent to the base and he goes into the area incognito. A Senator's son is under a cloud of suspicion. Several beautiful young women have turned up dead in the area and it is coincidental that the young Army Ranger has dated all of them. When another dead body shows up, the base is locked down. Tne town's economy tanks out and pressure becomes intense on the local Sheriff.
     This Sheriff has been a member of the Military Police, herself. She is a former Marine and she sees through Reacher's disguise immediately. That's okay, because she is in need of all the help she can get, and she and Reacher hit it off. I mean, really hit it off.
     It becomes obvious that high-ranking military and civilian authorities are hindering the investigation. Then, more murders are committed to cover up existing crimes. Then Reacher hears that the lovely Sheriff had, herself, dated the Senator's son. Even a cat could not unravel this ball of yarn.
        Jack Reacher is at his vigilante-style best in this action yarn. I especially like the sub-plot in which a midnight train is used to annihilate evidence. As a crosstie walker, myself, trains scare the crap out of me. The mass of metal, weight and energy is impressive when you are standing near them.
    As a former military man, I also enjoyed watching Reacher walk into the Pentagon itself to beard a virtual lion in his den. Good stuff, and a good book. Lee Child's trademark blend of action and mystery is hard to beat. Don't miss it.
    From the author's green retreat, I'm CE Wills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is hi...

Dr. Simon's Exoskeleton (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. Nice to be back with you after a tough, hectic week. We have had some snow, sleet, fog, drizzle, torrential rain and flooding this week.      I'd like to talk, yet again, about Shadowgun , the shooter game for I-Padster. I was much further along than what I thought when I posted about some of the battles yet to be faced for those of you who had just killed the Driller. The fact is that I am on the last level. This level has Dr. Simon, the resident evil nutcase, inhabiting a monstrous, powerful robot. His brain resides in a bubble on top, much like a cherry on a hot fudge Sunday. (Yes, I am still on my eating binge) It is a tremendous fight because you not only have to kill this huge semi-person, but there are a bunch of mutant guards, flying drones etc. to deal with at the same time. I had played the darn level about thirty times and decided to check out someone else's battle. So I went to You-Tube and typed in, Dr. Simon Exoskelet...

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As...