Skip to main content

Deflowered by a Lady Cardinal (Bird)

    Hey, everyone. I was just sitting on the porch, drinking my morning coffee. This is one of my favorite rituals. I noticed one of the local cardinals, a female, was alighting on one of the massive blooms of a Crepe Myrtle tree in my yard. When she did, blossoms went everywhere, cascading downward onto my lawn. Then she went to another bloom with a like result. Then another, and another. Soon it became apparent that she was purposely deflowering my tree on some sort of bird vendetta.
    As you know, I recently had a cardinal family next to my chair, snug in their nest. They had the baby birds there and the whole domestic scene. Cool. They survived their infancy just fine and moved to other quarters recently. We got along great because I kept the cat away from them. During their residency, I did a blog about the rascals and mentioned that the lady cardinal was more drab in her mode of dress than the male.
     It seems obvious to the paranoid that the cardinals not only read the blog, but the lady was offended at my criticism of her feathers. She now tries to destroy some of the beauty in my yard. The blooms are massive, though, and grow so big that they actually pull some branches almost to the ground.
    Hey, maybe I have misjudged the bird! Perhaps she is just sort-of pruning the blooms for me so that the branches will not be damaged. Or perhaps the bird person is merely searching for worms on the blooms, or gnats. She may be trying to merely put food on the table and I have misjudged her. Gee, I feel sort-of guilty now...
     Out of gratitude for my protection the cardinal must have been protecting my interests. By the way, I read a story the other day concerning why the male cardinal has such a brilliant red coat. It is an old Cherokee Indian legend. It indicates that a wolf had gotten into a scrap with a raccoon. The wolf had fallen into a river, hurt his body and nearly drowned during the chase. The coon, among the smartest and sneakiest of animals, found the wolf asleep and trying to recover his health. The coon took advantage of the situation and applied a thick coat of mud to the wolf's eyelids.
     When the male cardinal found the wolf, he was in a heck of a shape. Hard to do anything when you are a blind wolf. Plus, you have few friends, being a predator and all. But, the male cardinal had the nerve and skill to peck the mud from the wolf's eyes. Well, you can imagine how grateful the wolf was. Having some sort of magic ability, the happy wolf gave the male cardinal and all subsequent male cardinals, a lovely red coat of feathers.
     Now, I am not altogether sure this story is true, even though my grandmother was a full-blooded Cherokee. I go over to the Cherokee Reservation in the Great Smokies as often as I can. I bought this book of legends there at a store. It is titled Aunt Mary, Tell Me a Story. It is by Mary Ulmer Chiltoskey and is $4.99 at Cherokee Publications, PO Box 430, Cherokee, N.C. 28719.
    How in the heck did this post come about? As usual, an observation turns into a rambling reflection, here at the cardinals' green retreat.
    I'm CE Wills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dr. Simon's Exoskeleton (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. Nice to be back with you after a tough, hectic week. We have had some snow, sleet, fog, drizzle, torrential rain and flooding this week.      I'd like to talk, yet again, about Shadowgun , the shooter game for I-Padster. I was much further along than what I thought when I posted about some of the battles yet to be faced for those of you who had just killed the Driller. The fact is that I am on the last level. This level has Dr. Simon, the resident evil nutcase, inhabiting a monstrous, powerful robot. His brain resides in a bubble on top, much like a cherry on a hot fudge Sunday. (Yes, I am still on my eating binge) It is a tremendous fight because you not only have to kill this huge semi-person, but there are a bunch of mutant guards, flying drones etc. to deal with at the same time. I had played the darn level about thirty times and decided to check out someone else's battle. So I went to You-Tube and typed in, Dr. Simon Exoskelet...

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is hi...

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As...