Skip to main content

The Rarest of Beasts and Three Bullets

    Hey, everyone. Last night I watched a really good movie entitled Blood Simple. Despite the title, the plot was not simple. It was a plot which had you interested from the first moment. In fact, this movie is that rarest of beasts, a truly 5 star show.
     This film makes me think about raising teenagers, though there are no teens in the show. But, if you were wanting to warn young men about the hazards involved in life, you might just make them sit and watch this movie and say, "Don't ever be this stupid". The people in this tale are not very bright.
    Dan Hedaya stars as Julian Marty, a bar owner in Texas who has a wild wife. To be delicate about it, Abby ( Francis McDormand) likes men, a lot. One of her husband's employees is Ray. (Played by John Getz) Ray samples the forbidden cuisine of Abby and the watchful Julian finds out about it. In fact Julian has hired a private investigator. The weird PI (Played by Emmet Walsh) gleefully shows Julian some glossy 8 by 10's of the couple.
    Ray is dumb enough, after being called by Julian about the affair, to go to the bar and demand his past two weeks salary. Julian is less than receptive. So the slow, calm Ray goes home and realizes he has a new roomie in Abby and no job.Ray, perhaps the dumbest guy in any movie, ever, wakes up at his place the next morning to find that Julian has broken into his house and drug Abby outside for some purpose, best left unresolved. Ray doesn't have to intervene because Abby whips her husband's butt in the front yard. Julian leaves in disgrace, holding his fragile body parts in pain.
      At this point I must tell you about the gun that Abby has. It is a pearl-handled revolver for which she could only find three shells. Remember that. Three shells. She put it in her purse when she left home.
     Well, as Julian returns to his bar with his self respect and his crotch damaged, perhaps irrevocably, he decides to have Abby and Ray killed. I suppose that after his wife punished him he didn't feel up to the task and he calls the goofy private eye. He offers the dude $10,000 to kill the lovers. In my opinion, anyone as stupid as Ray would probably be dead on his own in a short time anyway. Julian could have saved the money. Ha, ha.
     The detective happily accepts the job and tells Julian to go to the beach for a few days. At this point I truly was unaware of how devious the detective was. He goes to Ray's that night and peeps through the window for a while. Then he sneaks in the house and steals the aforementioned pistol from Abby's purse. Then he goes to the outside of the house and points the gun at the lovers as they sleep. He is outside the bedroom window. Dumb Ray does not own a pair of curtains. After all, he has spent a lifetime honing his stupidity, why should he hide it from the world?
      We next see the detective throwing some glossy 8 by 10's on Julian's desk. They show the bloody bodies of Abby and Ray on the white sheets at Ray's home. Julian, ever the rock of manliness, throws up, then pays the detective $10,000 as promised.
     It is at this point that the movie really starts to get weird, with each new revelation dropping your mouth open in surprise. How many times did I say "Dumb" ? A lot. Has no one ever watched CSI in their community? Ha, ha. It is with difficulty that I refrain from telling you the rest of the story. Suffice it to say that I have not scratched the surface of the tale. Do yourself a favor and check this one out. It is superbly acted, written and directed. It seems like it could be true, because really, we as humans are not too bright. Movies always show brilliant plots and stratagems. In reality, most of us are closer to the Ray, Abby and Julian syndrome than we would care to admit.
     I'm CE Wills.
P.S. Remember, three bullets.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol

Men In Black 3, Just Empty Black Suits?

    Hey, everyone, out there in the world! Nice of you to stop by. Today I downloaded Men In Black 3 for I-Pad. There were a number of positive reviews on the app store, but there were several reviews that complained about the game failing to open. This was my experience. It opened to the screen shown above and froze there. At least it was free. I have an I-Pad 3, so maybe you will have better luck with yours.     EA games is having a big sale for the holiday weekend. I already have most of the titles which are on sale, however. I did buy several games this weekend, though, and I'd like to tell you about them.    Get Out of My Galaxy is a Mario type of space game in which you control a monster with 4 arms. The dude eats rocks and has a penchant for slapping little cone-headed aliens. There are a certain number of aliens to slap on every planet, then you move on to the next world. There are power-ups to grab as you go along, for health and other things. There is prickly vegetatio