Skip to main content

Western 1849

   
     Hey, everyone. This evening I am awaiting the arrival of Modern Combat's newest version to your friendly neighborhood app store. While I am sure it will be a great game, I have been playing another game today. It is entitled Western 1849. I write some western stories and very much like gunmen of the old west. This is the story of a gunman who arrives in a town too tough to tame. Though a little green, the shootist takes over as the town's lawman and must rid the town of undesirables.
    I started out with a 'Rubbish Gun'. No, I'm serious. That is what they called it. They are fair about the in-game gold coins, though, and even on my humble sheriff's salary, I was able to buy a secondary weapon called a common rifle. The rifle is important when the riff-raff you are fighting hides behind a cactus or on a rooftop that is a stretch for your Colt.
      The gameplay is quite simple and quite fun, actually. As you begin the gun battle, you are behind crates and barrels and buckboards. There are a bunch of hard-case outlaws hiding behind stuff and jumping up to shoot you now and then. You also must stand to shoot and head shots are the best alternative. Those are an immediate kill. As you are shot, your health meter goes down and you may have to use a healing kit to survive.
    The med kits are bought with in game cash that you don't have to buy with real money. You also use 'game' money to buy ammo.
     You slide from side to side with a swipe of your finger. Then you hold down on the stand button which allows you to 'sight in' on a bad guy. Once you kill all the villains, you grab your reward and play another round.
     During gameplay you can swipe down to reload your weapon. In the upper right is a button which is used to switch between primary and secondary weapons. You also have a yellow stick of dynamite. When it lights up you can tap it, then throw it at your enemies, which is fun. I hope you won't think me barbaric in regards to my enjoyment of this. By the way, it is cool to shoot a guy's hat and see it fly away.
    Like most games, you can upgrade your weapons. I like the sound effects of the game. Occasionally, during a lull in the gunfight, you might hear a horse whinny or an eagle screech. The dance hall girl is appreciative of your gun skills and a merchant has a quavery voice due to his fear. There are in-apps which are reasonably priced. I played the game enough so that I would have felt guilty if I had not bought something, so I did. I think gamers, readers and others miss the fact that creative people need to be recompensed for their work. Like someone learning piano, who never gets to play a song, but keeps working, hard work without some sort of reward will eventually cause folks to quit working. If we don't reward creative people we are not getting away with anything. Rather, we are losing creative people from a world that can ill afford to lose such folk.
      I must say that I didn't relish the fact that when you 'die' your character loses his character progress. He can still use his advanced weaponry. Therefore, use some of the in-game coin to keep yourself well-stocked with med-packs.
       As I await Modern Combat 5: Blackout, this is CE Wills, from the author's green retreat.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol

Men In Black 3, Just Empty Black Suits?

    Hey, everyone, out there in the world! Nice of you to stop by. Today I downloaded Men In Black 3 for I-Pad. There were a number of positive reviews on the app store, but there were several reviews that complained about the game failing to open. This was my experience. It opened to the screen shown above and froze there. At least it was free. I have an I-Pad 3, so maybe you will have better luck with yours.     EA games is having a big sale for the holiday weekend. I already have most of the titles which are on sale, however. I did buy several games this weekend, though, and I'd like to tell you about them.    Get Out of My Galaxy is a Mario type of space game in which you control a monster with 4 arms. The dude eats rocks and has a penchant for slapping little cone-headed aliens. There are a certain number of aliens to slap on every planet, then you move on to the next world. There are power-ups to grab as you go along, for health and other things. There is prickly vegetatio