Skip to main content

Red Sails at Dawn: Assassins Creed Pirates





      I was off the coast of Nassau on my lovely ship. It had just turned dawn and the fleet of fat merchant ships was in sight at last. The journey had been long and eventful. I had tired of being humbled by the men-o-war and had bought myself a vessel. A ship with red sails, as you can see. I thought that my prey would tremble in fear at the sight of the red sails, red being the color of blood and all. I had bought the ship and some trimmings for $7.99. The one-eyed geezer who sold it to me called it a starter pack, for some reason. He was narrow between the eyes,...uh, eye, and spoke out of the corner of his mouth, but we shook on the deal. It has been a good ship, aye, and I have trebled my booty. That's spoils, for you landlubbers.
        By my side on the deck is the fetching woman called Aaminah. I saved her off a slaver ship that I caught in open water. She is a trim vessel; the girl I mean, with a smile that will light up your heart. I like my women sassy, and she qualifies. Arghhhhh.
     The slave trade is an abomination to God. This era would likely have been around the time that John Newton was a slave ship Captain. He would later turn into a devout man and pen the words to the hymn, Amazing Grace. I wonder what Aaminah meant about the conscience...
     I was surprised by something when I encountered the slave ship. I shelled them until the ship was crippled. I couldn't sink it for fear the slaves would drown. They are normally chained below, as you know. Well, what surprised me was, as the ship limped away, I saw heads bobbing in her wake, the Captain judging rightly that we would stop and pick up these survivors. (See the above renderings.)
      Though it galled me to do it, I hunted and harpooned a whale.( Pictured above.) I was struck by the tragedy of it, but I couldn't allow my sailors to see me blubber over it. Ha, ha. I am also having some remorse over watching so many fine ships sink under the sea. I am responsible for 10,000,000 golden coins of shipping being lost here in the tropics. I am gaining a following also. There are twenty men of all races, creeds and nations serving on my ship. Oh, yes, and two women.
     I have been finding some treasure chests. They sit on a rocky outcropping, usually. When opened, they may indeed yield treasure, but as often as not, there is some child's bauble inside, or some heathen doo-dad. You have to put a half-dozen in a set to sell the darn things for a few thousand coins. I thought about placing my stinking socks in one of the chests, just for laughs. Arghhhhhhhh.
       I am a level 25 pirate now, though my journey is far from over. This game I play is long and deep. Aye, it be one of the ten best games I've ever spilled from the Apple barrel. Young Jim Hawkins would approve, I warrant.
      Stepping out of character for a moment, let me say that this adventure made me think of Game of Thrones just a bit. It dares to be a little different and include controversial subjects, like George R.R. Martin's series. When you do that, you can wind up a wealthy Captain or have people on your back like stink on a pirate's rear.
     From a spot just off the coast of Nassau, I'm CE Wills. (I actually have been to Nassau and fished there once.) By the way, 23,000 'in game' gold coins to travel from one area to another seems like a lot. But then, I paid $16 for two sandwiches, two large fries and two drinks, today. At McDonald's, for goodness sake. But, Aaminah had never tried a Big Mac.
P.S. No whales were harmed during the making of this blog.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol

Men In Black 3, Just Empty Black Suits?

    Hey, everyone, out there in the world! Nice of you to stop by. Today I downloaded Men In Black 3 for I-Pad. There were a number of positive reviews on the app store, but there were several reviews that complained about the game failing to open. This was my experience. It opened to the screen shown above and froze there. At least it was free. I have an I-Pad 3, so maybe you will have better luck with yours.     EA games is having a big sale for the holiday weekend. I already have most of the titles which are on sale, however. I did buy several games this weekend, though, and I'd like to tell you about them.    Get Out of My Galaxy is a Mario type of space game in which you control a monster with 4 arms. The dude eats rocks and has a penchant for slapping little cone-headed aliens. There are a certain number of aliens to slap on every planet, then you move on to the next world. There are power-ups to grab as you go along, for health and other things. There is prickly vegetatio