Skip to main content

Phones

   
    Hey, everyone. I was just thinking about phones. A useful tool with a long history of service. I can remember days when I actually dared to go somewhere without one.
     When I was a kid, we didn't have a phone. Most people didn't. Maybe, there was a store nearby that one could go to, in an emergency, to use a phone. Then there were the days when there were"party lines". No, this did not indicate nights of wild revelry with nicely shaped phones. Rather, it meant that a certain number of households would have a common line and number, so that a call would ring perhaps 6 or 7 houses. Believe it or not, some people used this primitive tech to eavesdrop on their neighbors discussions. Today we do this and call it a conference call.
     I remember the days when a phone was never carried on one's person. There was a line that attached them to the wall and they were massive and heavy. They were even used to kill someone in old mysteries on the telly.
      There were the phones that were mounted to the wall and one had to stand to talk. It didn't matter because we rarely talked on the phone. It was not used casually, because one didn't 'bother' people in a frivolous matter. This was before the days when telephone marketers actually made a living bothering people. Before laws were passed in congress to prevent this hobby etc.
     Once upon a time, it was a status symbol of sorts if one had a phone of their own. Now the type of phone you have is a status symbol. For instance, the above-pictured flip phone would draw some giggles if pulled out in public and flipped open. Yet, it performed its base function of making a phone call when required. Sweettttt. Some newer phones can't even pick up a signal like the older ones.
      People have been murdered over a cool phone. Thefts of I-Phones has been the most common type of crime in many cities. So common that developers installed a kill switch in many high end phones to make the theft useless to the thief. Of course, the 'find my phone' function is common.
     When phones had to be plugged into the wall, my wife was on the cutting edge of technology by using an extra long cord so that she could go from room to room and talk. Talk while cooking supper, answering the door etc. When we built this house we had a phone jack installed in every room. A phone jack is a wall receptacle where the ancients could plug in a "portable phone". Yes, we even had the jacks in our bathrooms and people would talk to you while seated on the porcelain throne. A practice I find slightly abhorrent.
     A friend of my wife was relating how her elderly mother waits to call her daughter every day while on the potty. The lady said, "Mother, please don't call me during this private time because when you grunt and groan, it bothers me." Sound effects.
     I fought the cell phone thing for a while. Until a brand new vehicle broke down on us and we were stranded and no one wanted to let us use their phone. The next day we got a phone. Gee, I guess that may have been twenty years ago.
      There were the satellite phones that guys took to Mt. Everest or whatever. Expensive and heavy, but potential life-savers and a cool factor of a zillion, at the time. Haven't heard much about them recently.
      It's cool to watch old movies where the characters have no cell phones. I find myself muttering, "Just use your cell and call the cops!" Not.
     Then came the era of spying with cell phones. By unscrupulous people, certainly, and even by parents on their own children, but mostly by governments. The era when certain phones are banned from cabinet meetings in countries around the world. When many people don't take cell phones to their bedroom. When people notice that their microphone on their phone has been turned on remotely by persons unknown. The era when a man becomes an international fugitive by telling about certain hobbys, shall we say, of certain agencies.
    I even know of one silly blogger who harped on his desire for an I-Phone 5S, 16 Gig, Gold. He even went so far as to ask his imaginary friend, Tony Stark, to buy him one. Ha, ha.
     $1000 is not unheard of for a normal person to pay for a phone. They are a wonder, though, with enough high-tech gadgets to make James Bond's mouth water, if they could have been transported to the days of Goldfinger and Thunderball.
     We have commercials that get very graphic about the best system of cell phone towers in America. It is commonly believed that Verizon has the best signal for people like myself who live 'in the country'. Heck, when we lived on the mountain, there was no cell phone service. Terrifying to think about, I know.
     My wife is currently aggravated with Verizon and is about to change to the Walmart Straight Talk plan. You get more stuff for much less money, I guess, and no contract. I overheard part of her discussion with Verizon. "You mean that I've been a customer of yours for twenty years and you want to extend my contract just because I changed my plan?"
     Of course, we commoners want a cool phone without the big layout of cash, so we enter said contract. Naturally, we pay for the phone with a bigger monthly payment, so the end result is similar. I get that. But still, people like Dish Network and Verizon irritate folks and are headed for a fall. Dish loves to inch up their monthly bill until one is paying $150 a month for television. They think we have to have it. They want access to your bank account too. How did we ever get suckered into allowing some entity to pull funds from our account at a whim. At that moment, their need to please us seemed to vanish into the night sky. They knew they could get their money. So, to **** with the consumer. I know several people that just buy several DVDS every month and unplugged from the satellite. When they did, Dish got upset. "We have your bank account info and if you don't get the DVR back to us within so many days we will take so much money from your bank account".
    Verizon, I hear at least, will fire some employees if they fail to sign up a certain number of customers every month. Don't you love it when billionaires bully people who are trying to put food on the table? Sure.
    Well,  think I have said enough, and probably more than enough for this morning. I will say that when I went to town the other day without my phone, I detected an odd anxiety along with a sense of freedom. Also, my jeans stayed up better, without that weight. So, there were no horror filled cries of "Crack sighting!" from the general populace.
     From the author's green retreat, I'm CE Wills.
P.S. By the way. I heard of a man that was convicted for murder because his cell phone had pinged two towers in the vicinity of his ex-wife's house at a certain time. He had mistakenly thought that having his phone turned off would keep it from pinging the towers. Also, there was a news flash locally in which the cell companies reminded folks that those old phones stored in the closet could still be used by children to call 911, so keep them put up out of reach. So, phones with dead batteries and being non-activated are potentially usable to an extent?
     The general paranoia over tech is pervasive here in the USA. Many people are beginning to 'unplug' from the internet. Some are going back to ancient phones that can't access the internet. Will that stop eavesdropping? I don't know that much about it. But I do know that perhaps Big Brother has shown part of his hand too soon, though it is well past 1984.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol

Men In Black 3, Just Empty Black Suits?

    Hey, everyone, out there in the world! Nice of you to stop by. Today I downloaded Men In Black 3 for I-Pad. There were a number of positive reviews on the app store, but there were several reviews that complained about the game failing to open. This was my experience. It opened to the screen shown above and froze there. At least it was free. I have an I-Pad 3, so maybe you will have better luck with yours.     EA games is having a big sale for the holiday weekend. I already have most of the titles which are on sale, however. I did buy several games this weekend, though, and I'd like to tell you about them.    Get Out of My Galaxy is a Mario type of space game in which you control a monster with 4 arms. The dude eats rocks and has a penchant for slapping little cone-headed aliens. There are a certain number of aliens to slap on every planet, then you move on to the next world. There are power-ups to grab as you go along, for health and other things. There is prickly vegetatio