Skip to main content

Movie Review: The Revenant



     Hey, everyone. A week or so ago, I bought the movie called The Revenant with Leo DiCaprio starring as Hugh Glass. Hugh is a scout, back in the days when the western United States was still inhabited by trappers, the Indians who hated them and a few settlers. We're talking about the days when rifles were single shot affairs and powder and ball were the technology of the wilderness.
       Hugh was a 'squaw man'. He was a white man who had lived with the Indians, taken an Indian wife and had a son who was half Indian. Since my grandmother was a full-blooded Cherokee, I find this movie particularly capable of stirring me up.
     I didn't go to see this movie at the theater. I had the feeling that it was long and boring, thanks to the reviews. I was pleasantly surprised when it was an excellent show. I love wilderness shows. I love survival shows. I love tales from the old west. (Have written several) I love revenge stories also. This movie had all the above, in spades, as we western writers say.
     I was surprised that Leo was so good as a mountain man. Heck, he is just a great actor. Must be tough to be able to pick and choose roles at such a relatively young age. Ha, ha.
      Anyway, Hugh Glass takes a job guiding a party of trappers who are trapping fur in a remote place. Of course, it is cold weather (animals grow thicker fur in these climes. There are more animals to trap in the more remote places.) Unfortunately, the party is attacked by a War Party of Indians. Many of the trappers are killed and Hugh recommends that they abandon the boat and strike out for the fort overland. This does not endear him to the resident whiner, John Fitzgerald, played well by Tom Hardy.
    John is one of those guys that would crab if you gave him a bar of gold. "It's too heavy." "Why's it yellow?" That sort of thing. Well, as the party is fleeing from the scene of the attack by the hostiles Hugh gets in a scrap with a bear. This is a truly intense fight and well done by the movie folks. It made me think about our confrontation with the mountain lion at the green retreat. Thank God, Carley and I were not harmed but I thought about it when I saw the severe butt-whipping that Hugh took from the bear. They found the ole boy underneath the dead bear. I have seen a bear in the wild here on my property, he left his paw print on my door, but he was a smallish bear.
     Clinging to his life, Hugh was in no shape to travel. The company boss paid a couple of the men to stay with the scout until such a time he died or recovered. They all expected him to die. The three guys who stayed with Hugh was his own son (the Indian lad), a decent, young white fellow, and the aforementioned John Fitzgerald. At this point I remembered a passage from Proverbs about a faithful messenger and his value. Something like that. Anyway, how wonderful to have a friend or employee that you can count on to do what he says he will do. Such a person is worth their weight in gold.
     Is John Fitzgerald such a man? Not so much. This ole boy gets tired of waiting on Hugh to die and decides to help him along the path to death's dark door. He murders Glass's son before his eyes, then corrupts the third member of the team to lie about events. Then they begin to bury Hugh, alive. A more horrible sin, no matter how 'practical' can scarce be imagined.
      One reviewer said that from the bear attack onward was two hours of boredom. I'm not sure what movie he was watching but I loved the whole show. Yes, at 2 hours and 36 minutes, it was longish, but I never became bored. The epic journey, first as a crawling pilgrim across the snow, then later as a slightly recovering hard-case, is the stuff of legends. Glass's woodcraft and skills are a delight to watch, though I have no interest in attending the same school. Scooping the innards out of a dead horse so I could strip down and crawl inside might allow me to sleep warm but might result in mild nausea. One does many things to survive, however.
      The Indians are tracking the crawling man, also, so he has to float down a cold river to escape. He carries a vial of gunpowder around his neck. In this manner he is able to start campfires quickly. Then, a little luck is even better than skill in the wilds. He meets a Pawnee (same tribe as his wife). This guy has also lost his wife and child and helps the wounded man along. He puts some odd medical treatment on Mr. Glass, including putting him in an improvised smoke house. Ha, ha. You might say he saved Hugh's bacon.
     I liked watching Glass's Injun pard build a shelter in moments by bending saplings over and tying them together. Once a buffalo robe was stretched over the top, there was a warm, dry shelter from the heavy snow. The snow camouflaged the hut from the pursuers.
     As you might imagine, the movie is much about Hugh's chase of the wicked Fitzgerald. They have an epic hate for each other and a truly epic fight which was hard to watch. It was superb writing, directing and acting. Treat yourself to this rare beast, a great movie that the Academy likes. I highly recommend this one. I'm CE Wills.
P.S. A revenant is a haunt, like a ghost, which returns from the dead to conduct a little business, like revenge.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol

Men In Black 3, Just Empty Black Suits?

    Hey, everyone, out there in the world! Nice of you to stop by. Today I downloaded Men In Black 3 for I-Pad. There were a number of positive reviews on the app store, but there were several reviews that complained about the game failing to open. This was my experience. It opened to the screen shown above and froze there. At least it was free. I have an I-Pad 3, so maybe you will have better luck with yours.     EA games is having a big sale for the holiday weekend. I already have most of the titles which are on sale, however. I did buy several games this weekend, though, and I'd like to tell you about them.    Get Out of My Galaxy is a Mario type of space game in which you control a monster with 4 arms. The dude eats rocks and has a penchant for slapping little cone-headed aliens. There are a certain number of aliens to slap on every planet, then you move on to the next world. There are power-ups to grab as you go along, for health and other things. There is prickly vegetatio