Skip to main content

The Outhouse

     Hey, everyone. It is a pretty day here at the green retreat. I went for a walk today and there was an outhouse at the park where I was at. I believe that the British folks used to call this a privy. It is an outdoor restroom without water piped to it. There is no sink.
     In fact, this one is fancy in that there is a male and a female. It is also painted. When I was a child, this one might have been thought elegant. Ha, ha. I know a lady who went to school and bragged that they had built a new privy at her house. I know of another person that was ecstatic that they had an outhouse built for kids so that they would not fall in. Small seat and all.
     The way you make one of these is simple. One digs a hole in the ground, as deep as one likes, I guess. Then you build a small platform over it to prevent falling in. There should be a floor and of course walls for privacy. This particular one has a hole in the door as you can see. One sticks their finger in the hole and lifts a primitive latch, to open the door.
     Back in the day, when Sears and Roebuck sent massive catalogues through the mail, the books were kept in the privy for toilet paper. There was once an odd country song which romanticized this vanishing piece of Americana. I don't recall the title but it went something like, "Please don't tear that dear old building down, for there's not another like it, in the country or the town".
     I bear no love for these structures. No lighting, splinters, wasps, offensive smells and the occasional snake. Cold in the winter and hot in the summer. In truth, very little privacy, sound-wise. In fact, if there were mean little kids around and cracks in the boards, it could be aggravating, sight-wise as well.
      On construction sites these days, they have a similar thing called a chemical toilet. If you have ever had the misfortune to visit one of these port-a-johns when the chemicals were too strong, you realize that one can get a serious chemical burn. I had this happen to me, once upon a time. Oh, it is not the end, but...
      No, I consider indoor plumbing to be one of the greatest inventions of all time. Of course, even back in the wild west, if a creek or river was near, water could be piped in with sufficient head pressure to provide the rudiments of sanitation. But, in our area, many a home with well water just had an outhouse.
     I heard someone talking just the other day about collecting rainwater. Used to, my grannie had a pipe from the gutter to a big wood barrel. She used the rainwater for washing her hair or giving future writers a bath, stuff like that. In some places it is now illegal to use rainwater for certain things. I guess that pollution has caused this rule. I find it strangely sad to hear about this sort of thing.
     Sometimes I ponder on inventions like the Saturn Moon Rocket. I went down to Alabama, to Huntsville, to the space museum. (Many moons ago.) Where they have the space camp for youngsters? That rocket is huge! They had it laid out on the ground. On that lovely spring day I walked its length, my hand resting on it. Laying on its side, it was still over my head. To think we sent that darn thing to the moon! Then I think about inventions like the float in the back of your toilet, that shuts the water off as a ball float rises with in-flowing water. Things like this that have provided comfort and convenience to countless millions, to me, are superior as an invention to the more spectacular devices.
     Think about the discovery of using the weight of water as head pressure. If you have a pond or lake which is, say, 30 feet above a house, that 'Head' is worth about 15 pounds of pressure. The actual figure is .433 pounds per foot of elevation. If you are in Africa or the jungles of Brazil or any remote place, what a blessing it is to supply water without a pump or electricity. Truly, a good engineer is worth his weight in gold.
     So, this is my musings as I sit here today. Toilets and lakes, and doing what it takes, here at the author's green retreat.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is hi...

Dr. Simon's Exoskeleton (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. Nice to be back with you after a tough, hectic week. We have had some snow, sleet, fog, drizzle, torrential rain and flooding this week.      I'd like to talk, yet again, about Shadowgun , the shooter game for I-Padster. I was much further along than what I thought when I posted about some of the battles yet to be faced for those of you who had just killed the Driller. The fact is that I am on the last level. This level has Dr. Simon, the resident evil nutcase, inhabiting a monstrous, powerful robot. His brain resides in a bubble on top, much like a cherry on a hot fudge Sunday. (Yes, I am still on my eating binge) It is a tremendous fight because you not only have to kill this huge semi-person, but there are a bunch of mutant guards, flying drones etc. to deal with at the same time. I had played the darn level about thirty times and decided to check out someone else's battle. So I went to You-Tube and typed in, Dr. Simon Exoskelet...

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As...