Skip to main content

What the Traffic Will Bear



   Hey, everyone. I feel good today. It is a breezy, sunny day at the green retreat. I have some Japanese Cherry trees in bloom. I also have some Dogwoods in bloom. The dogwoods are a white variety only. I wish I had planted some pink ones, back in the day.
     I was at Lowe's the other day and found several things remarkable. In the center isle as I walked in I saw skids of insect spray and weed-killer. One was $21 a bottle and the other was $31 a bottle. I just cruised on past both of them. What was the old saying? Charge what the traffic will bear. They keep going up on things and making things thinner, cheaper, lower quality.
     Everyone here in America wants their lawn to look like Augusta National. When I was young, things like grass seed was sold in huge paper bags for a dollar or so. Now they want to sell it for $20 or more for a one pound bag. How about Scott's fertilizer? It is so high, I'm amazed. The other day I got a thing in the mail from Scott's. They wanted to sample my ground, for free, and see what chemicals would help it.
     Years ago, no one weed-eated. (Not a word, I know.) It does make your place look nicer and well cared for. Well, my hands got to the point where I needed to quit using chain saws and weedeaters. Due to the vibration, which is not good for the nerves in your hands. So, I used a lighter weight trimmer. Then they started making them to malfunction, on purpose. They last about a summer now. So I bought an electric one that runs on big batteries. A little heavier, but little vibration. It has lasted 4 years, so far.
     But the yard is not the only venue for corporate manipulation. When everyone got used to using fabric sheets in their dryer, the sheets went up in price again and again. We quit using them. No real difference. Plus, the fabric sheets were putting a layer of film on the dish towels so that they wouldn't even dry dishes. Not to mention the very strong scent imparted to the clothes, which may bother some folks.
    Recently, chocolate went up and up in price. We quit buying it. On the rib-eye steaks they started trimming off the tender section and selling it elsewhere, and went up on price. We quit buying steak altogether. Recently meat has been going back down and surprise! They re-found (Not a word.) the tender part of the rib-eyes. It is a miracle!
      The other day, there was a big stink about a company putting wood chips, pulp, into bags of cheese sold at Wal-Mart and elsewhere. Cheaper than having real cheese, I suppose. Plus more fiber in your diet, I guess. Ha,ha.
     The interesting thing about charging what the traffic will bear is this. All those folks may discover that they can do without your product. So, when that marketing guy stands up in your board meeting and says we can make millions more by shaving another millimeter off this or that, or cause it to fail every year, or make it so cheap it won't perform its function, he may be slitting your company's throat, in a figure of speech.
    But hey, its a pretty day and I was am in a good mood. Ha, Ha. Thanks for reading. I'm CE Wills, the consumer rights dude.
    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol

Men In Black 3, Just Empty Black Suits?

    Hey, everyone, out there in the world! Nice of you to stop by. Today I downloaded Men In Black 3 for I-Pad. There were a number of positive reviews on the app store, but there were several reviews that complained about the game failing to open. This was my experience. It opened to the screen shown above and froze there. At least it was free. I have an I-Pad 3, so maybe you will have better luck with yours.     EA games is having a big sale for the holiday weekend. I already have most of the titles which are on sale, however. I did buy several games this weekend, though, and I'd like to tell you about them.    Get Out of My Galaxy is a Mario type of space game in which you control a monster with 4 arms. The dude eats rocks and has a penchant for slapping little cone-headed aliens. There are a certain number of aliens to slap on every planet, then you move on to the next world. There are power-ups to grab as you go along, for health and other things. There is prickly vegetatio