Skip to main content

Sony, George and the NFL


    Hey, everyone. It is 09:30 on a lovely morning at the green retreat. I hope that you and your folks are well and happy. Well, I ventured forth into the haunts of men yesterday.
     I met a Sony Rep, a very pleasant lady who took the time to chat about games and gaming. We liked a lot of the same games. I mentioned the new/ pending / fictitious? Playstation 4.5. She reminded me that the above-mentioned device was merely a rumor at this time. She also said that if the 4.5 exists, that it will not hinder people like me, it would merely allow 4K definition in the ultra-modern gamers' lives. Those like myself can continue with their current system, games etc. So, I went on my way rejoicing.
     By the way, I finished The Order: 1886. I enjoyed it. I began to play Uncharted. I have the box set, you know, remastered and all. I loved it the first time around and decided to play it again while I am awaiting Nate's return in Uncharted 4: A Thief's End. I did begin with Uncharted 2 this time around. I love the opening where Nate wakes up in the railroad car.
    I was so glad to see Game of Thrones crank up a new season. Theon Greyjoy began his trip back from the abyss of life. Good for him. Wouldn't it be cool if he and Sansa got married and had children. raised a garden. Wouldn't it be a bummer to have some pyscho hunting you down with a pack of vicious dogs? And, if so, how sweet would it be for a rather tall, blond, lady warrior to come and save your bacon at the last second? Yea, verily, sweet indeed.
     I noticed that the producers of the show are planning/ rumored to be wrapping things up in an additional 13 shows after this season. I think that is good. Sometimes we try to milk things along when they work really well. I think this show has been possibly the best television program, ever, and I'd like to see a real resolution to the lives of these imaginary folks we have grown to love, hate or whatever.
     I followed with interest the stories about George R.R. Martin's struggles in finishing his massive story. Far be it from me to advise a man of his caliber, but...
     Recently, I was writing a new western and it was flowing along beautifully. Then, my hero was traveling west and continued on his journey past a certain point. It was like the flow of the story just shut down. Seized up like a bad diet, you know? I have found that writing a story is somewhat like life. If you make a wrong turn, the smooth ride can grind to a halt. I wonder if George messed up when he created a new cast of characters in Dorne? Or the freaky ocean folks who drown all their friends? Maybe he should have more hung out with his already huge cast of people in Westeros.
      I marvel at George's ability to carry a book of this size! Do you really think about how hard it is to weave a blanket this thick? It is a consummate work of art, right up there with Clancy and Clavell.
    Forgive my rambling, but, I recently read Martin's A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms and enjoyed it very much. Of course, I imagine that G.O.T. will remain his magnum opus.
    I watched the NFL Draft last night with interest. I wonder at the composure of these youngsters. When I was in my early twenties I was intimidated to 'dine in' at McDonald's. Here they are with TV interviews and rich endorsements. Very impressive kids.
     I follow the Atlanta Falcons, as you know. I had season tickets for years and I have a healthy passionate affection for them. I noted they took a safety in the first round. I expect Dan Quinn will fix that defense in short order. I really expected them to take a sack artist like Shaq Lawson or the guy from Ohio State.
     I follow the Tennessee Titans closely too. I told someone a few days ago that I would have stepped in as the owner and said this: "If my quarterback leads the league in sacks this year I will fire the GM, the Head Coach, the Offensive Coordinator, the Offensive Line Coach, the offensive line and whoever parks my @#&**** car that day". In other words draft offensive linemen that are not offensive to me.
      I like Tennessee's new GM, by the way. I like the fact that he bypassed a guy with questionable character and took the kid from Michigan State, Conklin. I'm sure that Marcus Mariota heaved a sigh of relief. I liked the fact that Robinson, the new GM, is willing to trade up and down. Good work.
    In my humble opinion, the Brown's should have taken a quarterback early. No problem trading down for the extra picks but they should have taken the kid from Memphis, Paxton Lynch. I remember watching him play the Vols and thinking "Am I the only guy that sees how good this man is gonna be? Raw, a little, but scary big, good and composed. Masterful move by Elway grabbing this big guy. With one stroke he made up for all the Houston kidnapping of Brock Osweiller after Manning's departure. With Denver's "D" they could just toss Paxton in as a starter, though Mark Sanchez is certainly capable. I always felt like Mark could have had a great career if he had been nurtured a little better in his early days. His head coach in New York, Mr. Ryan, maybe, a little, slid him under the bus. Easy for me to say, sure, as I sit on my front porch,but that media storm raging around people in the big apple...
    It's fascinating, really, but enough pressure can cause you to forget your name. I tip my hat to those who endure. Good day to you, civilization. I'm CE Wills. 
   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol

Men In Black 3, Just Empty Black Suits?

    Hey, everyone, out there in the world! Nice of you to stop by. Today I downloaded Men In Black 3 for I-Pad. There were a number of positive reviews on the app store, but there were several reviews that complained about the game failing to open. This was my experience. It opened to the screen shown above and froze there. At least it was free. I have an I-Pad 3, so maybe you will have better luck with yours.     EA games is having a big sale for the holiday weekend. I already have most of the titles which are on sale, however. I did buy several games this weekend, though, and I'd like to tell you about them.    Get Out of My Galaxy is a Mario type of space game in which you control a monster with 4 arms. The dude eats rocks and has a penchant for slapping little cone-headed aliens. There are a certain number of aliens to slap on every planet, then you move on to the next world. There are power-ups to grab as you go along, for health and other things. There is prickly vegetatio