Skip to main content

Book Review: No Country For Old Men

     Hey, everyone. I have been on a Cormac McCarthy run lately and have read several of his books. He has such an odd style! In The Road, which I reviewed, he didn't give any of the characters a name. In No Country For Old Men, he doesn't use any quotation marks. As picky as editors are it is a miracle that his novels even were accorded a passing glance, yet the dude has won a Pulitzer Prize. Anyway, he is a terrific writer.
   This book closely follows the excellent movie by the same name so you are probably thinking, "Why should I read this?" That's what I thought, although I've seen plenty of movies that did not follow the book at all closely. Well, I liked the movie and I enjoyed the book. Here's the recipe.
      A guy named Moss, who lives in Texas, is out hunting on the plains and sees a group of vehicles in the distance. When he goes down to investigate he finds a drug deal gone bad. There are numerous dead guys, guns and a satchel of money. We are talking significant money. On the order of 2.4 million dollars. Moss does what many of us would do. He took the money and headed home.
    That's all the good news for Moss, for many a page. The bad news is that the money has a transponder in it. Some unsavory gentlemen are soon on Moss's trail. Moss, however, is no pilgrim. He is a Vietnam vet and I don't mean he worked on dogs and cats. He is a dangerous man in his own right. He certainly has the financial wherewithal to flee effectively as well. If his pursuers had all been ordinary bad guys Moss would have done okay. But there was this one psycho called Chigurh, a character that gave me the willies in the movie. He is a hit man and a more twisted and ruthless character has never crawled forth from the mire of a fiction writer's brain than this guy. He carries around an air tank and a pneumatic gun like they use to slaughter cattle. The cops find dead people with wounds that appear to be bullet wounds but there are no bullets.
    This is where the third significant character emerges, a Sheriff named Ed Tom Bell. The Sheriff is probably a better philosopher than Sheriff and he's a pretty good Sheriff. He gets on Chigurh's trail and perseveres even though he is genuinely afraid of the guy, as he should be. I remember in the movie that Tommy Lee Jones absolutely nails the role of the Sheriff. He is the man who is too old for that rough country and I dang sure know the feeling. (That's southern for a strong affirmation.)
    It's funny to review a book when most of my readers have already seen the movie by the same name. The thing is, there are people from all over that read the blog and I don't know if they are familiar with the book or the movie. For example, I have no idea what the folks in Spain like to read or the movies which Russian people watch. I do know that many of them, like you, are bored enough to read this blog. Let me wrap up this post by saying that I recommend the movie and the book. I will say that it is more likely to be pleasing to guys than it is to ladies. Cormac's novels are not exactly fodder to brighten your mood. They deal with the harsh side of life and he doesn't pull many punches. 3 stars out of 4.
    From the author's green retreat, I'm CE Wills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol

Men In Black 3, Just Empty Black Suits?

    Hey, everyone, out there in the world! Nice of you to stop by. Today I downloaded Men In Black 3 for I-Pad. There were a number of positive reviews on the app store, but there were several reviews that complained about the game failing to open. This was my experience. It opened to the screen shown above and froze there. At least it was free. I have an I-Pad 3, so maybe you will have better luck with yours.     EA games is having a big sale for the holiday weekend. I already have most of the titles which are on sale, however. I did buy several games this weekend, though, and I'd like to tell you about them.    Get Out of My Galaxy is a Mario type of space game in which you control a monster with 4 arms. The dude eats rocks and has a penchant for slapping little cone-headed aliens. There are a certain number of aliens to slap on every planet, then you move on to the next world. There are power-ups to grab as you go along, for health and other things. There is prickly vegetatio