Skip to main content

The Wizard Of Oz

    It's been an interesting day. I had an outside water hydrant that I worked on. It had split back during the winter during a really cold spell. It only leaked if you opened the valve and then it leaked back under the floor. I could hear the water and not see it so I crawled under the house to get at it. Sure enough there was a split about an inch long. It was unpleasant under there but I persevered.
     Speaking of things that have persevered, I watched The Wizard Of Oz last night. I believe I enjoyed it more than I ever have. This film has been around since 1942. I can remember when I was a kid, they'd show it on regular TV once a year, in January. The whole family would watch it and we all loved it. When I was really small the flying monkeys really scared me and I had a few nightmares about them. Truth be told, the monkeys still scare me a little. As for the wicked witch of the west, she scared the tar out of me. In retrospect, I think she reminds me of my fourth-grade teacher.
   If I designed a video game I'd put those darn monkeys in it instead of zombies or mutants. Then I'd blow all of them to Kingdom Come and save Dorothy.
    I  was watching this on a video tape and it had a nice bonus feature that talked about the actors, writers, directors. One thing I learned was that Buddy Ebsen, from The Beverly Hillbillies, was supposed to play the tin man. They put aluminum dust on the poor guy and he almost died. He couldn't get his breath, among other things. I also learned that more people have seen this movie than any other movie in history. Over a billion people. I sat there and watched it, just enthralled at the colors, the costumes and the terrific acting. They say that as you get older you enter a second childhood. I am beginning to wonder about this. At any rate, I loved the show. For maybe the first time ever I really loved the humor in it. It is really funny. Also, I got a huge kick out of the songs. Like when the Lion sings about Courage. When he said, "What makes the muskrat guard his musk?" I nearly lost it.
     They were talking on the postscript of the video about the mindset for the film. They wanted to create something of beauty and purity to awaken a magical event with the children. What a great job they did of that. It endures today and has gladdened the hearts of many. Except for the monkey thing.
    The movie had terrific life lessons as well. There's no place like home. I wish that I had owned a pair of ruby slippers when I was half way home from Wyoming last summer!
    My friend, a one-time minister, says he sees this movie as a parable of the human journey. The yellow brick road represents your stroll through life. The Emerald City represents your goals, ambitions or perhaps whatever your perception is of the afterlife. It's a long journey and fraught with many dangers. Some of the dangers are things you didn't know existed when you were young.
     If you're very fortunate, you make a few friends along the way. It's helpful if you are wise enough to know they are not perfect. They have some shortcomings. One may not have a heart. Then one day you find that he loves you enough to risk his life for you and perhaps that gruff exterior was misleading. Another friend may not be real smart, but one day, many days, he'll know enough to save your bacon. One of your friends may even be a coward. Yet he has many good points as well. Should you drop a friend like a hot potato for their faults? Wouldn't have many any friends. Hey, maybe they could have dumped you when you ran away from home.
     In a way we are like all these characters. We have all been hardhearted and mean as though we had no heart. We have all turned away from a test or a fight or a danger and showed a lack of courage. I would think that every human has done something that showed a distinct lack of brains. Most of us have probably went through some degree of leaving home and family. Yet we persevere. You think that The Beatles wrote that song Get By With A Little Help From My Friends with a Scarecrow, Tin Man and a Lion in mind? Nah, I guess not.
    As you get older the Emerald City doesn't seem so far away. There have been a lot of darn monkeys along the yellow brick road. Some of them are a lot tougher than zombies in a video game. Sometimes the monkeys pull your straw out and you say, "They threw some over here and they threw some over there!" When I was a kid they used to say someone beat the stuffing out of so and so. The scarecrow really had this happen.
     When you get toward the end of your journey it's kind of like the Oz deal. Some of the stuff you wanted, you realize wasn't important. Maybe you didn't need a piece of paper to show your brains or perhaps there's more to love than writing love songs. I think our culture instills high expectations in us. For life, for our family and our friends. I used to dream about going here and there. These days, that has paled somewhat. Home is where the heart is. If you can't see the people you love occasionally all the gold on earth is not a great substitute.
    Well, just in case you or I leave for the Emerald City before next time, thanks for reading this post.
     I just looked outside and there are no flying monkeys.
    CE Wills.
P.S. If you go to Project Gutenberg you can download a bunch of the Oz books by L. Frank Baum, for free. He's the guy who wrote the book and he wrote about 50 or 60 other stories about that fabled land. Goodnight.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol

Men In Black 3, Just Empty Black Suits?

    Hey, everyone, out there in the world! Nice of you to stop by. Today I downloaded Men In Black 3 for I-Pad. There were a number of positive reviews on the app store, but there were several reviews that complained about the game failing to open. This was my experience. It opened to the screen shown above and froze there. At least it was free. I have an I-Pad 3, so maybe you will have better luck with yours.     EA games is having a big sale for the holiday weekend. I already have most of the titles which are on sale, however. I did buy several games this weekend, though, and I'd like to tell you about them.    Get Out of My Galaxy is a Mario type of space game in which you control a monster with 4 arms. The dude eats rocks and has a penchant for slapping little cone-headed aliens. There are a certain number of aliens to slap on every planet, then you move on to the next world. There are power-ups to grab as you go along, for health and other things. There is prickly vegetatio